01

CAITLIN SNOW

CAITLIN SNOW

Leaving my home town wasn't something that saddened me, frankly I was more than contempt with being as far away from my mother as possible. She wasn't my biggest fan and I wasn't hers. Dad is what kept us together for the short amount of time we had him. After him, everything fell apart.

Slamming down the trunk of my car with a slight bit of too much pressure, I made my way into the drivers seat, taking a breath.

High-school for me was never what the movies described it as 'the time of our lives' and I was positive college wasn't going to be all that much of a different playing field.

The drive was ominous, clouds were dark and heavy and my anxiety was building the closer I got to campus. Sighing and repeating the same words over and over until I parked. 'Nothing can be worse than home.'

I knew that sounded irrational, having to repeat the same words over and over, and I certainly knew that this could in fact be worse than home, but the rhythm of repeating that sentence eased my anxiety.

Carefully grabbing the most stuff I could in one trip I pulled out my orientation paper scanning it quickly scanning it to find my dorm.

After making my way to the correct hall I found my room with the door wide open, and a blonde haired girl turned to face me quickly.

"Hi! Im Felicity, Felicity Smoak your roommate. Although I'm gonna guess you know that by the fact you're holding that paper, unless you didn't read it. Who am i kidding you definitely did. If you can't tell I ramble when I'm nervous." She brought her head down slightly with a smile.

"I'm Caitlin, but I'm guessing you knew that as well." I laughed a bit using her words trying to lighten my mood.

"It's really nice to meet you Felicity." Walking into the dorm fully I extended my hand to hers. It seemed like she wasn't quite the best at making friends, but clearly I wasn't either.

"Likewise." She smiled returning the handshake and quickly looked around the room.

"Sorry I kinda didn't wait to see what side of the room you wanted, I took the left because there's an extra outlet." She took a breath before continuing.

"My major is computer sciences which means my computer kinda looks like a spaceship... unless you need that extra outlet then I can-"

"It's fine don't worry." I cut her off with a smile.

"All I have is a laptop so one outlet is more than enough. I'm in bio-engineering." I finished, looking towards my side of the room where I could place my stuff down.

It took a couple trips from the car to the dorm to bring everything I had but with the help of my new roommate it wasn't as long as I feared.

After finally being able to sit down on the bed I let out a sigh and leaned against the head board.

"Do you know anybody here?" Felicity's smile was genuine, something that eased my anxiety quite a bit for some reason, maybe it wouldn't be so bad here.

"Well apart from you now, no I don't." I chuckled lightly. "Do you?"

"Well apart from my childhood best friend no, well you now too." She smiled once more before continuing.

"Which is a coincidence that we ended up at the same college. We didn't even tell each other we applied here until we both got accept." By now she was spinning herself slowly sitting in the office chair.