Chapter 16

A quiet groan is enough for Jaemin to make him stop on his track to glance at the older in front of him. He caught him yawning while his eyes were still locked on his reviewers.

Both of them decided to study at the nearby coffee shop from their school since the environment is perfect for them to focus. Today is a busy day for both of  them and yet they were here, studying instead of going home and resting. Now, this is pretty much their daily routine, or rather, this is Jeno's daily routine, and Jaemin is here to accompany him.

Jeno was too focused on studying that made him fail to notice the younger's focused eyes on him. It has a visible adoration in it that he couldn't control.

"You know what? Let's wrap everything up and go home." Jaemin said while squeezing the older's right cheek. "That's enough." 

"I can't. You can go first." 

"No, that won't happen." The younger shook. 

"I know we're friends now but I still need to be the top one." Jeno stated while reaching for his coffee and start drinking it. 

But then, he stopped on his track when he realized something regarding on what he's doing in the past until today. 

Why does it feels like, he's only doing this to make his parents proud and not for himself anymore? 

Jeno loves to study and he enjoys every bit of it but these days, he feels like he's only studying because he has to and because he's still scared of his parents getting mad at him.

Especially his mother, he's so scared to disappoint her.

He, like his brother, used to enjoy things without making them into a competition.

"What's wrong?" 

Jaemin's voice interrupted him on his thoughts.

Clearing his throat, Jeno shakes his head and flashed a smile to him. "Nothing." 

"Not convincing." 

"I swear, nothing's wrong." He assured him but Jaemin could only look at him. Through his eyes, he can feel that Jeno might be thinking about his frustrations and how pressured he is about their upcoming exam. 

"Hey.." Jeno calls Jaemin. 

"Mm?" 

"I know you are not the type of someone who wants competition when it comes to this thing." Jeno then heaves a deep sigh. "Now you know the reason why I need to be the top one, I hope you won't change. Like, don't be sorry for me." 

Jaemin gave Jeno a reassuring smile and his other hand is on its way for the latter's hand to hold it tightly. 

"I won't, I promise."

"Thank you."

"So, you'll stay here?" 

"Yup. I'm not yet done."

"Well, I'm done. But I'm not leaving you here. Why don't you just take a break for ten minutes? You've been studying nonstop." 

When Jeno finally let go of his book, he immediately put his head down on the table and closed his eyes. Jaemin is right. He needs to take a break since studying so hard makes him dizzy most of the time but he must do it in order to understand what he's studying. 

"Do you want me to help you?" 

"You're literally my enemy in number one rank." 

"Yeah but we're not competing over that stupid rank and you're not my enemy."