Chapter Six: Reading from a Book... Oh, Shit, the Mummy is Alive!

~The Next Morning~

*Chamber below the legs of Anubis*

Evy and I stood back as Jonathan and O'Connell propped the sarcophagus against the wall. The dread feeling was more potent than before, and I was trying to sneak out without getting noticed.

"Oh, I've dreamt about this since I was a little girl." Evy bounces in place as the guys step back, panting a little.

"You dream about dead guys?" O'Connell asks in a teasing tone looking back at the two of us. I stop trying to sneak out and just stay still as my heart races.

"Look, his sacred spells have been chiseled off." Evy walks closer and runs her hands over the missing spells.

"This man was condemned not only in this life but in the next." I finally say as I take a step closer, looking at the sarcophagus. Evy nods in agreement with me as she steps back with excitement in her eyes.

"Tough break," O'Connell says, dusting off his hands.

"Yeah, I'm all for tears," Jonathan remarks as he unlocks the sarcophagus lid.

"Oh, show a little respect for the dead." I chide softly as they start pushing the sealed lid off. All of us let out screams when the lid comes off, and a mummy jumps out at us.

"Oh, I hate it when these things do that," Evy exclaims, putting a hand on her chest. Shivers race up my back as I look at the mummy with wide eyes.

"Is he supposed to look like that?" O'Connell asks, looking at the mummy in horror.

"No, I've never seen a mummy look like this." I trail odd after answering O'Connell.

"He's still- still-" Evy can't seem to find the right word to describe the mummy.

"Juicy." O'Connell and Jonathan supply as Evy walks closer.

"Yes. He must be more than 3,000 years old...." Evy looks at the mummy, and her hands hover over it. "And it looks as if he's still decomposing." She finishes as I look at the lid of the sarcophagus.

"Hey, look at this," I say over my shoulder as I kneel. They all turn around and look down at the lid.

"What do you make of this?" O'Connell asks, kneeling next to me. I reach out and trace the marks lightly.

"My God, these marks were made with fingernails." I gasp as my fingers line up with the deep groves.

"This man was buried alive." My voice comes out in a whisper as I turn my head to look at the mummy.

"And he left a message." Evy kneels next to me and traces what is scratched into the stone. "Death is only the beginning." She translates as I get up quickly and rush out of the room feeling sick.

I take turns randomly, or at least it feels random until I end up in an already lit chamber. Torches and large oil lamps were burning in the corners of the room. It was a place meant to be hidden, and I got the feeling that Ardeth and his men lit everything. There was a form in the middle of the room standing unnaturally still. As I get closer, I see that it is a dress form with a beautiful gown, light armor, and a circlet.

I walk out of the room, not touching anything, making my way out of the halls and back into the sun. I let out a soft sigh as I made my way to our new campsite and sat, pulling out a book Mr. Burns had given me when he had seen that we had nothing. I read for hours until the others finally made their way out of the city.

I smile at my brother as he sits beside me, bumping my shoulder. "I don't see Evy. Is she still down there?" I ask, noticing that she's not up here. Jon nods before getting up again and walking off. I shake my head at him and set the book down as the camp gets louder.