Chapter Eight: Oh Joy We're Running Out of Time Now We Don't Have Time to Talk

We returned to the fort without problems and headed to mine and Evy's room. I stood next to the French doors as the others talked in the sitting room.

"We must stop him from regenerating." I could faintly hear Evy as I looked out over the Nile. "Who opened that chest?" I sigh softly and walk away from the doors and into the bathroom, running myself a bath while the others try to figure out a plan. I take off the robes and fold them up to wear again later. Looking in the mirror above the sink, I wet a rag and start wiping the blood off my neck and jaw; it takes a few minutes to get most of the blood off, and when I turn back around, the bath is close to the water level I wanted. I added some scented oils and another one to make bubbles. I watch the water rise a little more before I turn off the water, take off the rest of my clothes, and let my hair down. I was sinking into the water when there was a loud bang, and I grabbed the dagger I had kept close to me for the time being.

"Coward that you are!" I hear Evy shouting as I grab my bathrobe and slip it on to open the door. "O'Connell, you are not leaving me in here!" Evy continues as I open the door and see her get dumped onto the bed and O'Connell turning around and walking out of the room quickly. I sigh and lean against the doorframe, watching Evy momentarily as she bangs on the locked doors.

"I'll be in the bath if you need me, Evy," I tell her as I turn back into the bathroom.

"Ada..." Evy calls out, taking a breath. "Do you know that Medjai?" She asks, walking into the bathroom as I fully sit in the tub.

"Well, that depends on what you mean," I say, avoiding the question as I sit back and look at my sister.

"You know what I mean." She grumbles at me, and I can't help the smile as I look at her.

"He's the one who got me out from under the bookcase. He's also the one who got me off the riverboat, even if he did toss me overboard like a sack." I mumble the last part hoping she wouldn't hear, but she laughs at me softly. "He's been everywhere since this started, and he makes me feel safe, as odd as that is right now," I tell her honestly before I dunk my head under the water to hide my blushing face and get my hair wet. I come out of the water to the bathroom, looking very different. It now looks like one of the bathing chambers the royals would have used, and I can feel the press of a body behind me as hands run through my hair. I go back under the water and pinch myself before I come back up, and the bathroom is normal again. I sighed and reached for the shampoo bottle when it was snatched from where it had been sitting.

"Let me," Evy says as she sits behind me and starts to wash my hair. "Mother used to do this all the time." Evy muses softly as she works the shampoo into my hair.

"She also told us that only those we love should touch our hair, whether it be to wash or braid it," I say, closing my eyes as Evy tilts my head back and rinses the soap from my hair. I smile at Evy's snort and sigh as she combs out the knots. "I've missed spending time with you," I tell her after she moves to sit beside the tub rather than behind it.

"I've missed it as well." She says as she stands up and moves to leave the room. "I would like to use the tub when you're done." She calls over her shoulder as she leaves the room. I shake my head but finish bathing quickly. I grabbed my robe again once I'd dried off and walked back into the bedroom while drying my hair with a towel.

"Evy, the bathroom is open for you," I say as I walk past her to my wardrobe. I smile as she makes a face at me while walking into the bathroom. I pull on my white nightgown and garb a hair tie for the braid I usually sleep with. I sit on my chaise lounge, pulling the throw blanket over my legs and grabbing one of the books on my side table. I listened to the water running in the bathroom as Evy, no doubt, was taking a very quick bath and smiled softly as I opened the book and started reading.