Chapter 7

Chapter 7: I Can't Believe the Test Proctor Was an Assassin

"Amaya!" I heard a familiar voice call me, and then I snapped awake. My eyes fluttered open, and I saw Liam standing over me, a pillow in his hand. "Good, you're finally awake," he said, putting the pillow down. "Why are you waking me up?" I whined, sitting up. "I'm hungry. And don't you have the PSAT today?" he said as he sat down at my desk. "No, actually, I took mine over the summer. I don't really test well around others, so I got a protector and took it alone," I explained, pulling myself out of bed and walking over to my closet. "But I am supposed to go hang out with Lydia today. Since we're the only ones who don't have the PSATs," I continued. "Oh," Liam said, surprised. "Yeah, Lydia took her's freshman year," I explained.

Then I looked at Liam and realized he was dressed in his own clothes. "You went home?" I asked, and he nodded. "I ran over early this morning to get fresh clothes," he explained. "But you came back," I said as I walked into my bathroom with my own fresh clothes. "I just figured with the dead pool and the killings getting worse. We should stick together," I heard Liam say. "Aw, are you trying to protect me?" I smirked, poking my head out of the bathroom. I wasn't sure what Liam said after that because I shut the door and turned on the shower.

Once I had finished taking my nice hot shower, I quickly threw on my clothes. I checked myself in the mirror; I was wearing a pair of jeans and a black long-sleeved shirt; I let out a sigh as I grabbed my flannel off the counter and walked out of the bathroom. "Come on I'll make you some breakfast," I said as I looked over at Liam spinning in my desk chair. "Finally," he cheered as he followed me downstairs.

I made a quick breakfast of toast and eggs, but Liam seemed to enjoy it. As we ate, we talked about our families and other stuff, Liam told be about his IED, and I tried to give him some advice on controlling his emotions, given that I had to learn from a young age to control my emotions or my powers who go crazy. Finally, when we finished, I realized that I should probably head over to Lydia's since it was already noon. "Since I'm going to see Lydia, do you just want me to take you home?" I asked Liam. "Yeah, I guess," Liam replied as I headed to the garage.

Liam and I hopped on my bike, and I drove him to his house. And once I dropped Liam off then headed toward Lydia's lake house, where she told me to meet her.

Once I was there, I knocked on the door, but she didn't answer. I made my way inside; I had a feeling I knew where she would be. I went up to the white room, and there she was, standing in the middle of the floor. "Lydia?" I asked, and she gasped and turned around. "Amaya, you scared me!" she exclaimed. "Sorry you didn't answer when I knocked. You said you wanted to hang out, but I have a feeling that's not the only reason you called me," I responded. "I just really needed someone to be here with me. And you're the only one I could think of," Lydia admitted.

"I see," I said with a smile. "What's this?" I asked, walking over to the box sitting on the floor. "It's Meredith's things. She didn't have any family, so I asked if I could take them," Lydia replied. I sat down and looked through the things in the box. "Hey, take a look at this photo," Lydia said, sitting next to me and holding up a picture; I inspected the photo and then looked around the room. The room in the background of the image looked exactly like the one we were in. "That photo was taken here," I muttered. "That's exactly what I thought. But that means that Meredith knew my grandmother," Lydia explained.

I looked at her for a moment, thinking about what that could mean, "Lydia, the power of a witch, is passed down. If you're a witch, it's likely that your mother or grandmother was as well," I explained, and Lydia nodded. "What if it's the same for Banshees? What if the reason your grandmother knew Meredith is because she knew what she was, because she was the same thing," I continued. I watched Lydia's face as she processed what I said. She just sat there for a moment, unsure what to say, but then my phone rang.