Chapter 1

Rose

I ran as far away and as hard as I could. I didn't know if my heart was beating too fast or not at all. But it hurt and it had nothing to do with the running.

How could it when he had trained me so well.

'love fades, mine has'

He had told me over and over that he couldn't love anymore, that that part of his humanity was gone after his restoration, but he had never phrased it quite like that.

I didn't know why I even cared. I was with Adrian. Any romantic interest I had in Dimitri was supposed to be gone. I told myself that I just wanted him to acknowledge me like he had Lissa. I had risked everything to get him restored.

But him dismissing me like he had, like we were nothing, was too much. How could he not still love me? How had that part not survived? Mine had survived grieve, torture and a damn prison break.

How could something so strong just...vanish?

I had run back to my room although I had no recollection of how I got there, just a tear streaked image of Court. I decided to take a shower, clean the tears from my face and hopefully the pain as well, but before I could even get in the shower there was a knock on my door.

I ignored it. I didn't want to deal with anyone right now. Not Lissa, not Adrian. Not... no he wouldn't come.

They knocked again. "Guardian Hathaway?"

I raised my eyebrows. I had only been called that a handful of times. It still felt weird but I knew none of my friends would call me that. So reluctantly and with eyes red from crying I answered the door.

A guardian I vaguely recognized stood at the door. I had seen him around the Guardian headquarters in my brief exile to desk duty.

"Yes?"

"Guardian Croft requested to see you."

Damn. What did I do now? "Do I have time for a shower?"

The Guardian looked at his watch. "No."

He walked away without any further word. He expected me to follow him back. I shrugged. I grabbed my jacket, wiped my face as best as I could in the ten seconds I allowed myself and followed him towards headquarters.

Maybe I was being punished for my outburst at the Queen over the age law after all. Or maybe I was getting assigned somewhere far far away to stop causing trouble. Maybe I would have to guard someone in Timboektoe. Honestly, I would welcome that right now. Getting away from everything and everyone, just guarding and working. It sounded devine.

Once at the headquarters, he directed me towards Hans's office. But I didn't need directions. I have been there many times now. Somehow it felt like going to Kirova's office.

The door was slightly ajar. I opened it a bit more and saw Hans sitting behind his desk. He looked up when I entered.

"Ah, Guardian Hathaway. Please come in."

I stepped around the door to take a seat when I noticed Hans wasn't the only one in the office. Opposite Hans in a chair next to the one I was probably meant to sit in was Dimitri.

My heart did that beating-too-fast-or-not-at-all thing again. He looked a little shocked to see me there too. Then he frowned. He was taking in my face and his gaze darkened a bit.The walk over had probably reduced the puffiness and redness in my eyes enough so that Hans wouldn't notice anything, but I knew Dimitri did.

I replaced my shocked and hurt expression with my Guardian mask and the frown on Dimitri's face only grew deeper.

"Guardian Croft." I nodded in his direction as a way of greeting and because I didn't want to be a right bitch I nodded in Dimitri's direction too. "Belikov."