Chapter 12

Rose

I waved off Viktor and Robert. I had instructed the guardians to pack tranquilizers for Robert. I didn't think he would let his brother return to Tarasov. But he had gotten into the vehicle without much trouble. Maybe he didn't understand that being escorted by guardians meant his brother was going back to prison.

I assume that Lord Viktor Dashkov had had many occasions where he was ushered into a vehicle by guardians.

All I knew was that they weren't my problem anymore. And hopefully Viktor would keep his mouth shut.

He glared at me as the car moved past me and I kept waving, even blowing him a goodbye kiss. I nearly laughed. He was a bit sour that I had bested him. Well, technically my father had bested him. If only he had done the same when he had first asked Viktor for the information, then I wouldn't have had to break him out.

But I suppose that even Abe doesn't have eyes everywhere, which is probably why Viktor went back to Tarasov. It would be one of the few places he might be safe from my father.

I moved back inside, smiling to myself. When everybody stared at me I stopped and dropped the smile.

"What?" I shrugged.

They just shook their heads.

I sat down on one of the empty spaces on the couch. I looked around at my team. We had an extra member now. Sonya. Although she looked a lot better than she was when she was just restored, she wasn't really the poster girl for fine. Although she didn't have the same air of crazy that she had had back at the Academy. So that was something.

We had two missions to complete, find Lissa's sibling and hunt down as many Strigoi as possible. I wonder if we could count Sonya as one of our casualties. There was one less Strigoi in the world and one extra spirit user.

But before I could make a decision on how to proceed, I needed to know that Sonya was on board and would help us.

"Sonya. I know you are still recovering, but I need to ask you a question."

She nodded. "Dimitri already told me why you came here. I just don't know if I can give you that information. I promised not to tell." The last bit barely came out a whisper.

I sighed. I didn't want to push Sonya, but I also needed to help Lissa. It wasn't just about Lissa getting to know another sibling, it was about helping our world.

"Maybe you don't have to tell us, Sonya." Mia said. I wanted to tell Mia that although I appreciated she was trying to protect Sonya - after all, Mia had known her before this too- Mia seemed to have a plan.

"Mikhail was always here on a voluntary basis. You and Mikhail could go to Lissa's sibling. Ask them and get them to court if that is what they want."

That wasn't a bad plan per se. Although I wondered if they would go. They had had many years to come forward and didn't. Not even after Lissa's parents and brother died. And not now that they knew Lissa needed a quorum. So why would they if Sonya asked?

Sonya looked from Mia to Mikhail. I could clearly see that they didn't want to part. And taking Sonya Strigoi hunting was also not a very good idea. So I guess this meant Mikhail was going with Sonya. He could help convince them to come to court.

Maybe it was better for Mia to go with Sonya and Mikhail. It did leave Dimitri and I alone. But that was always the way this mission was supposed to go. If Mikhail left with Sonya, Mia would be alone in the field. It would put her in more danger.

But I wondered if Mia would accept that. Also I wondered if being alone with Dimitri on this mission was very productive. We had done well with a buffer, but just the two of us? That was a tall ask.