Chapter 7

Rose

Dimitri and I had agreed to let everyone in on the side mission. Especially since Mikhail was with us. Maybe he could help us. He had intimately known her, he might know about the sibling or at least who she was close enough to to be emergency contact for.

"So, Lissa might have an illegitimate sibling?" Mia asked. " Like father, like son right?" The last part was muttered under Mia's breath but I heard. I gave her a glare. She raised her arms in surrender. "Sorry. Not helping."

But I understood her reaction. Lissa's brother André had once really screwed her over, figuratively and literally. I know Lissa wouldn't be happy with this news either. She might be excited to know she wasn't the last Dragomir and she could get her Council seat, but learning your father cheated on your mother might be a bit of a shock. I also didn't want to hurt Eric's reputation. The man was dead and had no means of defending himself. People would think less of him and gossip a lot once this got out.

But did we really have a choice? Lissa needed that seat. And I knew that despite Tasha's efforts, the Quorum law wouldn't be changed in time for the elections. This was our only hope.

"Mikhail, Do you know anything? Do you have any idea who this mystery woman might be?"

He had looked disturbed ever since Sonya's name was dropped. So far he hadn't said a word. I think he was processing this. It must be strange for him to talk about something before she turned. I think the last three years everytime Mikhail thought of Sonya he thought of a pale woman with red-rimmed eyes. I know that is what I thought when I thought of Dimitri.

"No, She was close to her family, but there were a lot of them. I never saw any of them and don't recall her ever mentioning nieces or nephews in that age range. But it might not be family. Sonya was loved, before..." He didn't need to finish that sentence. We all knew about Miss Karp.

I leaned back into my chair. "The only one who knows for sure, is Sonya."

Mikhail looked over the maps we had lying around. "I spent a year trying to track her down and no luck. She had been off the grid for three years now. How are you even going to find her? And if you do find her, how are you going to ask her?"

I had no idea how to find her? We were mostly focused on finding Strigoi in General, we didn't really care who. but finding a single Strigoi? Well, I had done it. But I doubt torturing several Strigoi until one would talk would work here. But I was sure I could get her to talk. I had some experience in that department.

Dimitri's eyes landed on mine briefly. Mikhail didn't know the details of what I did in Russia, And although my kills were known by the Council, my other curricular activities were not. But Dimitri knew. Like I knew most of what he had done in those months, he was also one of the few that knew what I had done.

"That is because you didn't have the right contacts to find her." Dimitri said. Right, and Dimitri did. I wonder how many Strigoi we could track this way? twenty? fifty? Two hundred? How big had Galina's network been? Isaiah had known of Christian's parents. How many Strigoi were even in North America and how well did they know each other? We had always assumed Strigoi kept to themselves, the attacks in the royal families and Galina being the exceptions. But maybe it was more than that. Maybe Strigoi did have at least loose associations with other Strigoi.

Dimitri sighed as he got up and walked towards the privacy of his own bedroom. I knew he was making another call as Strigoi Dimitri and I doubted he wanted witnesses. Although I could hear his muffled voice through the door and even if he was speaking Russian and the door blocked most of the sound, it still sent a shiver down my back.