Chapter 8

Dimitri

I heard from one of my contacts. He didn't know where Sonya was, but he knew of a Strigoi in the area that will probably have the answers.

I hated how easy it was to fool them. Just a slight change of my voice and they couldn't tell the difference. For our mission it would be a good thing, but for me, personally, it was hell.

That text had come in the early hours of the morning. I had read it immediately and hadn't been able to get to sleep. That was okay, I didn't need much sleep. I wouldn't have gotten much even if I hadn't gotten the text.

I was able to stop most of the horrible images of what I had done in Russia during the day, but they always infiltrated my mind at night. I got a turmoiled few hours at best.

Although last night, I hadn't been dreaming of anything I had done in Russia. Last night I had dreamed of the mission and more specifically Rose pulling me back. Her eyes, her hair, her very being is what pulled me back from a very dark place.

It was very selfish of me. I had been the one to push her away. I had been horrible to her when I was first restored and still she was my salvation.

I got out of bed early so I wouldn't disturb Mikhail. He too had a restless sleep. And I knew what he would be dreaming. He would be dreaming of Sonya. The situations were so different, yet I couldn't help but see the similarities in Rose and Mikhail. He too must be realizing we would have to kill Sonya.

The pain was so clear on his face, it was a palpable thing in the room. Had this been Rose when she had been hunting me? She eventually learned I could be restored, but before that she had been on a mission to kill me. Seeing the obvious pain on Mikhail's face reminded me that Rose had been through a lot too these last few months.

And she had definitely made it out stronger. She was doing well with leading this mission. I was very proud of her. A strange feeling, because it would be one of the very few positive feelings I have had since being restored.

But I couldn't help admiring her. How much she had grown, and how much she had matured.

I made it into the living room and started the pot of coffee. I might be able to function on a few hours of sleep, but that did require some caffeine. I knew Mikhail liked his coffee too, almost every guardian did. Except Rose.

I chuckled. Rose would never follow the normal path, even in this, she was the exception to the rule.

It was still a few hours before it was time for the rest to wake up. I decided I was going for a run. I missed running. As a Strigoi it hadn't brought me the same kind of peace and I hadn't needed it to keep up my stamina, so I hadn't done it. And at Court I hadn't been able to for...obvious reasons.

I needed the activity now. I needed an outlet and I don't think beating up Strigoi was a healthy one. When I was first restored I mostly felt guilt. Everything else was drowned in that feeling, but now it was mostly overshadowed by anger. And I knew if I didn't get it under control I could go off again.

So I ran. I ran a good ten miles before I felt like I was sane enough to return to the hotel. I had pushed myself too. The leisurely pace had soon transformed into a desperate sprint. As if I could outrun my feelings.

When I got back, I was still the only one who was up, but I knew it wouldn't be long now. So I started to prepare some breakfast. Something at least Rose did just like all other Guardians. That girl could eat. And Mikhail and I were no exceptions either. And for a Moroi Mia had a healthy appetite. But this morning I kept it light for her. I knew she would be visiting a feeder this morning and she probably wouldn't eat much before or after.