One

"What are you doing, Kirazcim?" – Eda asked as the child doodled and wrote on her small notepad.

"Writing a letter to daddy. He works really hard, and I love him very much. I don't want him to forget," the four-year-old declared matter-of-factly.

Eda smiled at the little girl and went back to her other responsibilities: She organized the reception desk, double-checked all children's pickup times and corresponding signatures, collected all the toys and books still out in the reception area, and grabbed a water bottle from the fridge to offer it to Kiraz.

6:15 PM.

Where was Serkan Bey?

Kiraz's stomach rumbled, "I'm starving, Eda Abla."

Eda was sure the little one was. Kiraz had snacked solely on a yogurt bar and some apple juice around 3:30 PM.

Sevil Hanim had forbidden her staff from giving the children food that did not come with a label, but... what harm would some carrots stick do to this little girl? Eda thought.

"I've carrot sticks. Oh, and an apple. Any of those interest you?" Eda offered with a smile.

"I'd take the apple, please," Kiraz said, offering a wide smile.

After handing the fruit to the child, Eda returned to her desk and dialed Mr. Bolat's phone number a second time. Once again, the call went straight to voicemail.

At least I don't have my psych exam tonight anymore, Eda thought, trying to cheer herself up.

At 23, Eda was a college dropout of sorts. She worked as a nanny in the morning and as a daycare receptionist in the afternoon. Eda absolutely loved her nanny job. The twins she looked after, Asli and Ali, were sweet babies, and their mother was very kind and generous to Eda. Her receptionist job, on the other hand... Eda didn't love. She often got the latest start, which meant she was the last to leave the daycare center, as she would stay behind with the straggler children.

Lately, though, this task hadn't been so painful. The last child picked up the last couple of weeks had been Kiraz, a sweet four-year-old whose smile could melt her heart. Kiraz had the widest smile. She enjoyed drawing and talking about her father, whom she adored. And no matter how late Mr. Bolat ever was to daycare, she always welcomed him with a hug and asked how his day had been. 

6:45 PM.

Serkan Bey now owed Eda almost $90. What a tip!

Kiraz seemed unconcerned for now, even when this pickup time was late even for him.

7:20 PM.

When 7:20 PM arrived, Eda looked up Kiraz's emergency contact on her registration card and tried the number again. The call rang once, twice, three times. At the fourth ring, someone finally picked up. "Hello?"

"Good evening, this is Eda Yildiz from Morning Star Day Care Center," she said, attempting to sound calm and collected as Kiraz was close by.

"Oh, hi? Did something happen to Kiraz?" The person on the other end sounded young. Younger than me even, Eda mused.

"She's fine, but Serkan Bey hasn't picked her up yet," Eda paused. "Our center normally closes at 6:00 PM, but it's already 7:20 PM. The building will be closed in ten minutes. I'm only the receptionist. I won't be able to stay here much longer as I do not have a key."

"Omg...." The woman stated in shock. "It's Selin. I have some messages from my father. They had to take her to the hospital. I apologize, Ms. Yildiz; I was in class. That's why I didn't pick up before. I'm on the other side of town right now, though, and traffic at this hour is a killer. I hate to have to impose on you further. But would there be any way we could meet elsewhere? A train station, coffee shop, nearby park, library... anywhere you could take my niece while I can get to her? I cannot make it to the daycare for at least another hour.