Chapter 23

Rushing into the bedroom trying to calm my beating heart. I was visibly shaking. I wanted to sit on the bed and cuddle close to Jake's warmth. He was the only one that could calm me down right now but he had insomnia and this little sleep he was getting right now could get him a long way. I didn't want to interrupt that. I'd feel bad.

So instead, I curled up onto the side of the bed on the cold floor, trying to calm my beating heart. I was struggling so hard to breathe. He was close. I knew I saw him that day. I knew it was him. Kevin. How on earth did he find me? I looked down at my shaking hands and tucked them under my thigh to stop them. I was panicking I knew that, this was as bad as the day I hurt Jake but my pills were no where in sight. They were the only things that could give me an intense feeling of calm right now. Even if it wouldn't last long. It was a start.

It was relief.

Tears streamed down my eyes and I don't bother to wipe them. I buried my face in my knees, my mind going from place to place. What am I going to do? How am I going to escape him?

I had a feeling I knew why he was after me. I was a witness. I knew he killed my mother. I knew he was harboring a dead body in his house, he knew she was dead. He can't lie about that. I knew he was doing drugs. Selling and using. He knew that if I were to go to the cops right now, I can testify against him for the abuse and mistreatment. He knew I could lock him up for good if I testified so he was coming after me. He was using the excuse of money to justify whatever his plans were but I knew my stepfather. He was a bad man.

He could do anything.

I was a dumb idea to run when I heard the cops coming while I was at the house but I was so scared. I was so angry. At Kevin. At my mom and dad. At myself. But now I wasn't so sure the cops will care to hear my story. It was my mother that died off the drugs I bought for her. I was a suspect.

If I was going to go down for anything, he was going down with me.

I looked up suddenly feeling determined. I walked back to the bathroom and picked up my phone calling the number that Kevin used to phone me.

It rang. He didn't pick up.

A message came in a second later.

"I call. you answer."

With all the anger in me at that dumb message. I launched my phone at the wall with all my strength and it shattered into a million pieces. I stood there panting with anger when I came to realize what I had done. I rushed to my phone that was beyond repair at this point.

"No." I muttered. I picked the phone and the pieces around it and slumped to the floor, resting my back on the bathtub. Tears ran down my eyes as I stared at it. I saw something move at the corner of my eyes and saw Jake standing at the door in shock. He looked at the wall that had a little hole in it and my busted phone and then he looked at me. My sweaty blotchy face, red rimmed eyes and matted hair and the only thing I could do was choked out a sob that was supposed to be his name.

He wrapped me up around him, letting me cry on his chest. He asked me what happened, I tried to talk but it just came out in choked sobs. He kissed my forehead, taking my shattered phone from my hands and dropping it on the floor. He pulled me up to my feet. My legs were too weak to work she I leaned against his chest as he pulled us to our feet. He took off my shirt off leaving me in my bra and tugged my jeans down my legs.

This situation seemed very familiar. Familiar as in he's done this before. Remembering just brought more tears to my eyes. He only did this when i seemed most vulnerable and stressed. It was so caring. I didn't know what to say.

I let him help me take my jeans off and I was left standing in my underwear. He looked at me and saw the tears running down my face and he wiped them away gently before kissing me. It was a short soft kiss. Barely a kiss, maybe a peck but I've never felt so loved before in my entire life.