Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven

The two pulled apart after a fair amount of time standing there in each others grasp.

Later that night, surprisingly Carter came and sat at the dining table for dinner - the first time in three weeks. Although Perry knew that he only came down to join everybody for dinner to stop Perry from worrying about him.

"Something smells nice Edward."

"Ah yes well that would be the stew...I didn't realise that you Mr Carter would be joining us today."

"I am sorry for the misunderstanding. I should have told you. My apologies."

"Oh no don't apologise.  It's quite alright."

It was very different and strange for everybody to see Carter sitting there at the dinner table eating for them. Carter was a terrible lier, his true feelings were always so badly hidden - that's where Perry got her inability to succeed at lying. He started there plastering a smile on his face, his pained eyes shine through like a dagger in the heart. But nobody dared questioned what was wrong. Carter was clearly stressed and was trying to prevent things from falling part at home. Although Perry knew that this perfect semi family scene was fake, she couldn't help enjoy it. She found pleasure and hope in witnessing her father at the table eating and discussing 
different topics with everybody.

"So Perry how's school these days?"

Jensens eyes shoot across the table at Perry to see how she would respond. Whenever Carter asked her about school Perry had to put on her best smile and most chert full voice to fool him. She cleared her throat for bile was rising when she recalled every nasty and humiliating thing that has ever happened at school all because of Lauren.

"YEAH! It's great. It's really good dad. Emily and I have started hanging out again."

"Ah that's great sweet." He beamed a smile at his daughter.

"I know."

"And how are you settling in now Jensen after a week?"

"It's actually been three at school."

"Really?" Carter's eyes widened with fear. How much had he missed? Has he really been to tied up with Mr Kolt to not notice the weeks?

"Yes. But to answer your question it's been quite good. I have made a lot of friends. I do appreciate all that you have done Mr Carter."

Carter vaguely listened to Jensens answer.  He didn't pay much attention because he couldn't stop thinking about everything. Mr Kolt and his threat his demands. Carter's eyes were fixed on the large pan in the middle of the table with the extra stew in. He didn't move his eyes from the pot when Jensen answered.

"Well that sounds lovely Jensen. I am sorry everyone but I am not feeling too well. Do excuse me."

He rose from his seat, finally lifting his gaze from the pot.

" Mr Carter are you okay? It wasn't the food right? I am sorry. I don't know why..."

"No. Edward it wasn't the cooking. I just realised that I have some things to do. Also, I am just tired."

"Please don't work to hard Mr Carter.  Don't deprive yourself of sleep."

"I won't Edward.  There's no need to worry."

"Goodnight everyone."

"Goodnight Mr Carter." Jensen nodded.

"Do sleep Mr Carter."