" one day.. " xiao x y/n 🖤🧸

a/n: this is an lyric fanfic, the song is "one day" by Tate McRae, she's amazing so I suggest you listen to this song before reading this <3

TW: "unrequited" love, mentions of anxiety, lovey dovey shit, heartbreak, popular x unnoticed, MODERN!AU, HIGH SCHOOL!AU

"i think about an hundred thoughts, and you're ninety-nine .."

That was it, Xiao was hooked, to a person he hardly knew, y/n, your smile, your laugh, the way you dressed, the way you spoke, the way you moved. Everything about you made Xiao feel something he's never encountered before. Asking his mentor, Zhongli, Zhongli informed him this feeling was love.

Love. Could Xiao even muster that? He wasn't sure, but the constant thoughts of you were bittersweet, he loved you, but it burdened him that you'd never look his way, and if you did, it'd probably just be to ask for directions or if you two were ever partners with an assignment.

"and i understand that you'll never be mine, and that's fine, i'm just breaking inside.."

It was an ordinary day for Xiao, grabbing his books from his locker and walking down the halls with his head down low, his bangs covering anyone from seeing the sides of his face. He kept a tense posture, just trying to make it to class without freaking out.

That's when he heard that voice, making him jolt, looking up to see y/n, in their full glory. "Hey, Xiao, right?" You ask, causing Xiao to nod, not returning any words. He wanted to run, what was this? First, he loved you, now he wanted to run away from you.

He didn't understand. You smile calmly, "Well, nice to meet you, Xiao." You say smoothly, causing Xiao's face to flush red, he loved how his name rolled off your tongue.. gods why couldn't he keep his shit together? That's when he hurriedly walked away from you, leaving you with an confused expression.

"the girl who keeps her head down low, and never shows her eyes. he tries to talk to her but there's no easy way.."

It was break, you were waiting for Xiao, you wanted to speak with him, about how you were feeling, rumors had stirred up that Xiao had eyes for you. And you couldn't be happier. You found Xiao so interesting, he was so smart, cute, and skilled.

But.. how easy would it be to talk with him? He seems scared, worried. He's always nervous around you. He runs anytime to raise your voice. You'll use a soft voice, that's it. Ease him into it all, be calm, be gentle, be soft.

a/n: this art piece is not mine, this is by @_ahblue_ on twitter ty -kris

When Xiao walked out of the halls and outside, to his usual spot during break, you follow, stopping the other with a gentle tone, "Hey, Xiao?" You ask softly, causing Xiao to glance at you, a little shocked, why would you waste your time with him?

" and one day, he'll grab her by the waist, and force them to be face to face.."

"Uhm, yes?" He asked meekly, his voice was light, angelic, something you could listen to forever. You took a deep breath before opening your mouth, "Would you like to go out with me? I heard Good Hunter has some great food down there." You suggest, immediately, Xiao's cheeks flared red.

"I—I'd really enjoy that.. um, yeah." He says with a soft nervous smile, clutching at his sweater, you smile wide, and before Xiao knew it, a kiss was placed on his cheek. He broke, but, in a good way.

END
614 words

a/n: AAAAAA I'M RLLY HAPPY WITH THIS
edit: i didn't even realize this was finished like what- so i'll post this but depending on what answer i get depends if i'll continue