Part II

Friday, August 13th

Will had absolutely nothing to wear. He had asked this girl out, and yet still found himself not knowing what to put on. Casual, or would that seem sloppy? He sighed, grabbing a clean t-shirt out of his closet without thinking again about the situation.

            She, on the other hand, was very nervous. She had never been asked out to dinner before, nor had she have to deal with her medical issue. Sure, pasta was easier, but eating in general took strategic movements to avoid a certain tweak or overstretching. She looked at herself in the mirror, running her index finger along her jaw line.

“I hate you.” She mumbled under her breath, suddenly imagining taking her hands and hooking them under her mandible and ripping her face off from the bone. Just like a hinge, it would swing off easily, not to burden her anymore with pain or suffering. It would be so much easier if that could have solved the problem.

It was turning to be six o’clock, and Will pulled up into her drive way. His heartbeat was loud and thumping in his ear, matching ever step all the way up to the door. He rang the doorbell quickly, and then took a step back. He felt his knees shaking, and he tried to make them stop. It wasn’t that big of a deal, it was just a date.

As the door slowly opened, a small delicate face peered through with a smile. She brought the door open to reveal a nicely dressed beauty standing before him with a jacket slung over her right arm and her purse over her left. Her long brown hair was pinned up in the front to reveal her lightly blushing face as she opened the screen door.

“Hi.” She said softly as she looked straight into his eyes. Will smiled, but had absolutely nothing to say. Nothing came to mind, and as frantically as he scrambled to find something to blurt out, there was nothing.

“Come on it.” She said as she giggled softly, “I gotta go grab something from the kitchen.”

Will slowly stepped through the door as she gracefully walked down the hall way, turning quickly around the corner. His eyes grazed over the house, looking at all the decorated wall paper and pictures which hung on the walls. There was one that caught his attention. Framed in shells was a picture of her, on the beach with the surf up to her ankles, holding up her hand to show the number three.

“What is this?” He called as he pointed to the picture on the counter, turning his head to see her. She was reaching on top of her refrigerator, grabbing an orange bottle, obviously from a prescription. She quickly hid it out of Will’s sight, but it was too late.

            However, he didn’t want to say anything. Will took a mental note of it, but made it seem as though he didn’t notice.

            “That picture?” Her voice wavered as she came towards him, “That’s me on the my third trip to Florida.”

“You don’t look very enthused to be in the sunshine state.” He joked, but she didn’t seem to find it very funny. Will gulped quickly, thinking he had said something that could have offended her.

“I’ve been down there a lot, that’s all. But let’s not talk about that until dinner, shall we?” She flashed him a quick and innocent smile, stunning him for a moment.

“Uh,” he stuttered, “Of course. Sure. Would you like to head out then?”

“Sure!” She said heading towards the door. He watched her walk in front of him, until she suddenly turned and looked at him.

“Do you know where Buca di Beppo’s is at?” She asked as she looked up at him. Will froze, scouring his mind for directions, but he couldn’t come up with where this restaurant was at.