Food

Disclaimer: I own nothing. Descendants belongs to Disney.

TW: Food insecurities, mentions of pregnancy, miscarriages, stillbirth

_________

Food is interesting on the Isle. There's not a lot of it, and it's mostly rotten, old, and moldy. There are not a lot of nutrients in the food on the Isle. But they eat it anyway because it's all they have. The only food that the people of the Isle have regularly is fish. But the fish isn't that good either due to the contamination in the water.

Malnutrition and vitamin deficiencies are very common on the Isle due to the lack of food. A lot of the kids get at least a mild form of scurvy due to the lack of vitamin C.

Water on the Isle is interesting because it exists but it's very much contaminated by the people dumping dead bodies in among other things. Many people on the Isle don't have running water those who do get sick from the old pipes that hardly work anymore.

Food is a form of currency on the Isle. People get paid for food. People buy things with food. You could buy something from Facilier's with a loaf of bread.

Because of the lack of food and malnourishment pregnancy was rare and dangerous. The maternal mortality rate is very high along with the rate of miscarriages, stillbirths, and pre-term delivery. When both the mother and baby survive the pregnancy and birth the mother can't feed the child because the lack of food prohibits her from breastfeeding and the lack of formula and food made for babies. Most babies don't make it to their first birthday.

There are four restaurants on the Isle, Ursula Fish & Chips, Hades Souvlaki, Hun's Dim Sum, and Frollo's Creperie. They do what they can but it's still gross and usually more expensive than just making food at home.

In some households, there's a pecking order to who gets food. If you have a good parent like Dr. Faciler the youngest, Celia gets the most food, and the oldest, Dr. Facilier gets the least if anything at all and eats what his kids don't. Sometimes the kids notice this and purposefully leave stuff on their plates so their parent can eat.

But if you have a parent like Gaston it's the opposite, the oldest, Gaston himself gets the most, and the youngest, Gil gets the least and is forced to fend for himself most of the time.

_________

Thanks for reading! For anyone who's affected by the hurricane, please stay safe.