Chapter Nine

IX / A Debt To Be Paid

    To question Princess Rhaelys' virtue, was an act of treason, even if done by a princeling

To question Princess Rhaelys' virtue, was an act of treason, even if done by a princeling. And Rhaenyra knew this. Rhaenyra was ready to defend her daughter, and by extent, her right to the throne.

Rhaenyra stood up and looked at her daughter, who looked ashamed. "Aemond, I will have the truth of what happened," Rhaelys felt sorry for him. He was half a year younger than her and yet he had lost his eye and now his father was questioning him about it as if he had done something wrong. Of course, he had but Viserys need not put everyone over his children with Alicent so. Aemond was but a child. "Now," The King said firmly, as Alicent nearly broke to tears.

"What else is there to hear?" She questioned. "Your son has been maimed. Her daughter is responsible." Not completely, but all Alicent had to know what that it had been Rhaelys who, unprovoked, had attacked Aemond for no reason. Even if it did not seem like something he would ever do.

"It was a regrettable accident," Rhaenyra spoke as if Rhaelys could not speak for herself. She would leave well enough alone for now, it would not do well to cause more of a fuss simply because she wished to speak.

"Accident?" Alicent questioned as she was dumbfounded. "The Princess Rhaelys brought a blade to the ambush. She meant to kill my son, a Prince of the Realm," It had not even been her own blade. It was the one she had stolen long ago from Aegon.

"It was my daughter and my son Jace and their cousin Rhaena who were attacked first. Luke and Baela joined to protect them and they too were attacked. My children were merely forced to defend themselves," It had been Rhaelys' duty and she failed. Failed to protect her brothers and her cousins.

"Vile insults were levied against them. My daughter was called an unspeakable thing, and hideous insults were thrown at my sons." Viserys looked up at once, at the mention of Rhaelys. "What was she called? And of the insults, what of them?" He questioned as the room became silent. It was the unspeakable truth it seemed.

"He called me a whore, and my brothers bastards," Rhaelys told the room, with her grandfather's face growing furious.

Alicent looked shocked at her own son. This time it was Aegon who held her eyes, as she gulped. "What?" Viserys questioned, as Jace quickly spoke up, the blood still running on his face. "He called Rhaelys Aegon's whore," Rhae teared up at the mention of it. It was humiliating that it had to be repeated in front of everyone. "That cannot be right, father!" Rhaenyra shouted. Yes, Aemond's eye had been taken but Rhaelys had not done it out of spite. She had done it to protect her little brothers.