2. Mothering

''The princess Gaena is back.'' Otto remarked softly as the council settled in. Viserys smiled as he looked to the door half expecting her to walk in.

''You spoke to her?'' Viserys questioned

''Oh yes. Her husband passed and she is back.'' Otto remarked

''She never liked whats his name anyways.'' Viserys remarked.

"Matching her with a Lannister." Otto tsked. "She could do much better." Viserys nodded in agreement. "When the time comes for another match... perhaps someone in the capital. I know how much everyone enjoys the princess's company." Otto offered.

"Yes, a fine idea." Viserys agreed. ''How did she seem? Where was she headed? A good mood i hope. I should find her.''

''Oh yes she seemed quite well.'' Otto agreed. ''Such a lovely young woman.'' Viserys stood but his council was ready he sighed as he sat back down.

"Shall we begin?" but the door creaked open.

''Brother. I hope I'm not interrupting.'' Gaena said kindly as she peaked her head in.

''Gaena. Please come in.'' Viserys said joyously as he rose hugging her. ''Oh my sweet girl, you are back.''

''I'm back.'' Gaena agreed. ''Where is Rhaenyra I thought she was your cup bearer?'' Gaena remarked

''She is. Late as usual.'' Viserys remarked offering her a seat. ''Please join us.'' Otto rose immediately and pulled out the chair next to him.

''Thank you Otto.'' Gaena said her hand trailed along his arm as she sat.

+

'Ah... Rhaenyra. You know I don't like you to go flying while I'm in this condition.' Queen Aemma told her daughter.

'You don't like me to go flying while you're in any condition.' Rhaenyra corrected.

'Your Grace.' Alicent said curtsying before the queen.

'Good morrow, Alicent.' Aemma said kindly.

'Did you sleep?' Rhaenyra questioned her mother.

'I slept.'

'How long?' she pushed and Aemma chuckled.

'I don't need mothering, Rhaenyra.' She reminded her.

'Well, here you are, surrounded by attendants, all focused on the babe. Someone has to attend to you.' Rhaenyra told her confidently.

"Gaena already checked on me." Aemma assured.

"Aunt Gaena is here?" Rhaenyra said looking around.

"She arrived today it seems." Aemma agreed. "She did enough mothering for the day."

"Well I'm glad she is looking out for you as well." Rhaenyra agreed.

'You will lie in this bed soon enough, Rhaenyra. This discomfort is how we serve the realm.' Aemma told her solemnly.

'I'd rather serve as a knight and ride to battle and glory.' Rhaenyra told her and there was a murmur of laughter around the room to which Rhaenyra shot a glare back at them. She was meant for things bigger than marriage and babies.

'We have royal wombs, you and I. The child bed is our battlefield. We must learn to face it with a stiff lip. Now take a bath. You stink of dragon.' Aemma said kissing her daughters cheek.

+

'So, I said to him, "Well, I believe you might be looking up the wrong end." There was a round of laughter but work was to be done.