6. Wager

Gaena reached a hand over and touched ottos thigh as she leaned closer. He felt his heart rate pick up at even the slightest of touches.

"I'm sorry about Daemon yesterday at the council meeting." Gaena whispered. "He goes to far."

"It is alright." Otto assured his hand covering hers keeping her hand on him.

"It isn't." Gaena corrected.

"In truth... my wife and I were strangers for many years. We fell in love but fell back out again... I'm sad for the children's sake, not having a mother, but my love for her..." his words drifted off.

"Love changes." Gaena remarked and Otto nodded.

"Love changes." Otto agreed as Viserys rose up.

'Be welcome! I know many of you have traveled long leagues to be at these games. But I promise, you will not be disappointed. When I look at the fine knights in these lists, I see a group without equal in our histories. And this great day has been made more auspicious by the news... that I am happy to share Queen Aemma has begun her labors!' Viserys declared and the stadium erupted in cheers and applause. 'May the luck of the Seven shine upon all combatants!' They continued to cheer, the horses neighing, galloping into position.

'A mystery knight?' Rhaenyra questioned her guard, ser Harrold.

'No, a Cole, of the Stormlands.'

'I've never heard of House Cole.' Rhaenyra admitted.

'Princess Rhaenys Targaryen!' Boremund Baratheon came up to the viewing box. 'I would humbly ask for the favor of "The Queen Who Never Was." He declared and the crowd cheered happily.

'Good fortune to you, cousin.' Rhaenys said coming up to him and dropping her crown on his jousting spear.

'I would gladly take it if I thought I needed it.'

"Baratheons.' Gaena chuckled. "Pompous but good fighters."

'You could have Baratheon's tongue for that.' Otto remarked softly to Viserys

'Tongues will not change the succession. Let them wag.' Viserys assured.

"No one listens to baratheon's Otto." Gaena assured lightly, her hand trailing over his arm. Viserys didn't notice the light touches. The leaning in closer, the whispered voices, the private smiles. He was focused on the crown, the heir Aemma would provide him.

'Lord Stokeworth's daughter is promised to that young Tarly squire.' Alicent told Rhaenyra as the rider approached.

'Lord Massey's son?' Rhaenyra questioned.

'Mm-hm.' She agreed 'They're to be married as soon as he wins his knighthood.'

'Best get on with it.'

'I heard that Lady Elinor is hiding a swollen belly beneath her dress.' Rhaenyra remarked with a smirk. 'What do you know about this Ser Criston Cole, Ser Harrold?'

'I'm told Ser Criston is common-born, son of Lord Dondarrion's steward. But other than that, and the fact that he's just unhorsed both of the Baratheon lads, I really couldn't say.' Ser Harrold told her. Drums continued to bang as the crowd cheered, Daemon was up next.

"Here we go Vis." Gaena remarked.

"Care to make a wager Gaena love?" Viserys mused.

"Always." Gaena agreed her hair brushing up against Otto as she leaned into him to hear Viserys.

"Who is Daemon going to pick?" Viserys questioned.
"What do I get when I win?" Gaena mused.

"You mean what are you giving me when I win?" Viserys countered and Gaena smirked.

"Honey I don't lose." Gaena reminded him.

"Anything." Viserys told her.

"Anything." She agreed shaking his hand.

"Well?" Viserys questioned and Gaena looked over the contenders as Daemon came up.

'Prince Daemon of House Targaryen, Prince of the City, will now choose his first opponent!' the master of revels declared as Daemon made his way down the line of contenders. Walking back and forth before settling on his target he pointed his spear at Hightower the smuggest of looks on his face as he moved back.

"Gwayne Hightower." Gaena told him confidently. Otto sucked in a breath, he didn't want his son going up against Daemon.

"Leonard Lannister." Viserys countered. Gaena smirked facing forward again.

'For his first challenge, Prince Daemon Targaryen chooses Ser Gwayne Hightower of Oldtown, eldest son of the Hand of the King.' The master of revels declared as the dumbs picked up their pace with anticipation.

"Oh!" Gaena declared smugly. "Anything? What shall I have with my winnings?" Gaena mused as Viserys shook his head annoyed. "It's alright Otto," Gaena whispered her lips against his ear. "Daemon is a dick but you offended him not your son," Gaena told him.

"You think he wont kill him?" Otto questioned as Gaena grabbed his hand.

"His goal is to torment you, picking your son does that." Gaena offered. "Gwayne is skilled, he will lose but he is skilled." Gaena told him and Otto nodded not letting go of her hand.

'Five dragons on Daemon.'

'Ya!' The horses squealed and shrieked as they set off. Gaena felt otto tense as they charged, she ran her thumb soothingly over his hand as she tilted her knees into his. The crowd exclaimed with joy as the prince won. Daemon approached the viewing box.

'Nicely done, Uncle.' Rhaenyra said approaching him.

'Thank you, Princess." Daemon said sweetly.

"That you for being predictable!" Gaena called over to him.

"You did a wager on me?" Daemon questioned not able to see her only hear her.

"What do you think?" Gaena offered with a little giggle. Otto fell in love with that laugh.

"Wager I would win?"

"Who you would pick." Gaena clarified.

"Fuck you too sister." Daemon declared with a charming smile. "Now, I'm fairly certain I can win these games, Lady Alicent. Having your favor would all but assure it.' He winked up at her and Alicent got her flower crown dropping it down for him.

"You flirt." Gaena called over still laughing.
"I know I would lose with Gaena's favor." Daemon added.

"I'm lucky and you are lucky you are down there or I would whip your skinny ass." Gaena called down.

"Skinny ass? Insulting my skills is one thing sister but my ass is perfection." Daemon called.

"Whores are paid to lie honey." Gaena laughed out.

"GAENA!" Daemon shouted.

"Except your favor and go get your skinny ass kicked." Gaena mused.

'Good luck, my Prince.' Alicent said blushing as they took their seats again.

As the joust raged on the Queen Aemma was in a different kind of war. Aemma's screams and wails echoed but everyone was having to grand of a time to notice.

'What's happening?' Aemma questioned nervously as she panted for breath.

"You are the only one that can provoke him as you do and survive to tell the tell." Viserys remarked.

"I'm his sister what is he going to do?" Gaena offered nonchalantly.

"He is your brother." Otto agreed. "you know him and his temper well."

"Worried about me sweetie?" Gaena questioned and otto was at a loss for words when she looked at him like that.