Chapter Eight: Win the War, Prepare for Battle

BEEP

"$2 million to the man from Germany"

Ken literally physically shook his head to wake up from his utter shock at seeing Stacie Roberts paraded around in the center platform like a glorified show pony. It tore him up inside to see her so... dismayed and stoic... and exposed.

He glanced around the room he was standing in, trying to find the source of the beep. Noticing Schwartz's hand on the buzzer at the armrest of his chair, he realized what was happening.

The bidding war.

Ken gulped and turned wildly back to Stacie who was looking around the room at her own surroundings, no doubt studying the area, trying to find a way out of there without getting hurt. There were three men standing off to the sides, he could see, barely illuminated in the sconce lighting.

He knew she could take them... Heck, she knew she could take them... But the AR-15s in their possessions made for a more difficult challenge to do anything other than go along with it.

Not good...

BEEP

"$2.5 million to the man from Istanbul"

Spinning back to Schwartz, Ken noticed his face was contorted in disgust. He watched the man easily press the button again.

BEEP

"$3 million to the man from Germany"

Ken suddenly realized what must happen, what he must do...

He furrowed his brows and squared his shoulders. Moving quickly, the blonde man sat back in his own chair and swiftly pressed the button on his armrest.

BEEP

"$3.5 million to the man from America"

Now this garnered Schwartz's attention. The man raised his eyes to the newcomer from California, studied him up and down in steely judgment, then smirked as he realized he was not the only man in the room interested in the young woman. He pressed his button calmly again.

BEEP

"$4 million to the man from Germany"

Ken glowered over at the now arrogant expression on the "man's" face... Lowering his lids even more, Ken pressed his button again.

BEEP

"$4.5 million to the man from America"

BEEP

"$5 million to the man from Istanbul"

NO!

Ken pressed his button two more times.

BEEP

BEEP

"$6 million to the man from America"

BEEP... another from Schwartz

"$6.5 million to the man from Germany"

Another glare to the Deutsch...

BEEP

"$7 million to the man from Ecuador"

Ken cracked his neck and ground his teeth, setting his resolve back on the girl below the chandelier.

BEEP

BEEP

BEEP

BEEP