Chapter Two: Night One Ruminations

A flash of fabric. Folded and placed into the suitcase. Pressed nice and neat. A hum of a tune. Fabric, fold, press, hum. Repeat.

Barbie was on autopilot in the best imaginable way.

She was preparing and packing for her trip abroad to Paris, France with her one and only, love of her life.

Ken Carson.

She couldn't be happier if she tried.

"Well, someone is in a good mood! I wooooonder whyyyy?"

Barbie smiled and rolled her eyes at the teasing voice that came in through the dorm room entryway. She turned and watched as Brooklyn threw her bookbag on the floor beside her desk and plopped onto her bed.

"Whatever gave you that idea?", Barbie jawed right back, still folding her shirts.

Brooklyn smiled and gestured towards the suitcase, "Oh, no reason" She paused for just a second before continuing, "But seriously, how excited are you on a scale of one to ten?"

Barbie laughed and pressed down her next shirt. When she looked over at her roommate, her smile nearly lit up the room.

"More like a twenty"

Both girls shared another laugh.

A ringtone cut through their joy, causing them to look over at the table. Barbie saw it was her phone, so she stopped her packing and reached over to answer it. Smiling into the screen, she saw it was her friends from home.

"Hey guys!"

Teresa responded first, "Hey Barbie! You all done packing yet?"

"She has a whole closet ready to go, of course she's not done!" Renee added in with her own jab at the heavy packer.

Daisy nodded, agreeing with the former, "I'll say. Just remember, you're going for ten days, not ten years!"

But, the fashionista of the group, Nikki, wouldn't think twice about packing a suitcase per day. "Oh, come on! Ten days in Paris is a big deal! You just say the word and I'll head on over to give you my couture and chic dresses, especially the ones hot off the presses!"

The girls, despite mostly going their separate ways for college, all stayed rather close in their friendship.

Teresa and Renee remained in California. While archeology was always a fascination for the former, she decided to focus more on technology innovations and the history of espionage... something a bit more related to her job of working at the I3. Renee, on the other hand, took up a degree in physical therapy while keeping up her active spy duties, as well. Both related their futures to the secret intelligence agency, actually seeing it as a full time job. And while Teresa would have loved to go overseas to study, the move Lazlo made back to Los Angeles with a new promotion settled the deal to stay back home with her boyfriend.

Nikki and Daisy actually followed the Barbies out East, taking up fashion design and music performance respectively. Both were attending NYU along with the name-twins, just rooming together on the other side of campus. Nikki, Daisy, and Brooklyn, along with Rafa, had become fast friends, sharing similar interests and backgrounds, thoroughly enjoying their time together. In fact, the quintet would often find themselves taking class breaks together and spending plenty of time on the weekends as a group.

Well, the five of them plus Ken, who was easily just an hour away.

And speaking of...

"Sooooo... spill! You excited about your trip?", Daisy waggled her eyes at the blonde girl. Nikki popped her head on the screen, as well, being the pink and orange-haired girl's roommate and all...