Chapter Eleven: Epilogue

"Are you nervous at all?"

Barbie opened her eyes and turned back to her sisters in their bridesmaid dresses. Smiling even wider at Skipper's question, she pictured everything that had happened in their long life together, her and Ken. All the ups and downs, trials and tribulations, the wondrous moments of excitement and the dull and boring times... all of it was worth it... because she was utterly and madly in love with the man.

The love of her life.

With a deep inhale and a wide closed-lip smile, Barbie closed her eyes in thought, then opened them and shook her head.

"Not at all, why?"

Stacie and Skipper shared a weird look, but 12-year-old Chelsea spoke up first.

"Usually brides are nervous before they get married, that's all"

Skip shrugged, "Yeah, I mean, aren't you the tiniest bit anxious or scared?"

The bride chuckled, again shaking her head.

"Actually, I feel completely calm", she averted her wistful gaze to the floor and blushed, feeling the peace wash over her. "This is... the best decision I've ever made... To marry Ken. I... I couldn't be happier", she finished quietly, beaming back up at her sisters.

"Awwwww!", came the squeals of the sisters. Without any further warning, they rushed to hug their sister, gleeful over the upcoming wedding of her and her best friend of 15 years.

Barbie chuckled into her sister's hair, but the door to the dressing room opened up.

"Barbie? Are we all—", Margaret's arrival was halted with a sharp gasp of elation. She walked forward, hands to her chest in loving awe of her oldest daughter's vision.

"Ohhh... Barbie..."

Barbie's shoulders lifted shyly, her face squinting in glorious joy.

Reaching forward, Mrs. Roberts and took her daughter's hands in hers, but wiped a tear away before she did so. She exhaled shakily, emotionally.

"Barbie, I can't tell you enough how proud I am of you... and how happy I am for you..."

And that was all it took to allow a tear to fall from the bride's eyes. Barbie sniffled and breathed out deeply, chuckling as she did so.

"Mom..."

"It's true", she smiled wider and rubbed at Barbie's hands, "You are my oldest... my first baby... and now you're about to get married. I just can't believe this... I mean, I can", she collected herself dryly, "You and Ken have been through so much together... So much that we aren't at all surprised you two are getting married". Chuckling, Margaret continued. "I am just so... so happy for you both..."

After a moment of emotional silence between the two Roberts women, Margaret cleared her throat.

"Well...", she perked up, trying to collect her motherly blubbering. "How about we get going? They're ready for you, hun"

Ready for the day, Barbie nodded and closed her eyes, taking another deep breath. As she opened her eyes, she watched her family's eyes upon her, beaming at her with pride and love.

Smiling as widely as humanly possible, Barbie's sisters walked beside her, escorting her to the rest of her life...

****

As so began the processional...

Ken walked beside his mom, escorting her down to her seat. Before she sat down, she grabbed his face and leaned up for a motherly peck on his cheek. Finally sitting, she exhaled shakily, trying to calm down her own happy tears.