Patience

You're rearranging the soft bags you have used for breasts under the female hanbok you wear when Young-Soo quickly throws the doors of the dressing rooms open.

"MN!" he yells and looks around the dressing room to all other's that quickly glance at him. All witness. He takes a deep breath taking a hold of his braid. "Your cat," he says thinking on the spot, "She's sick. You need to see her now."

"I have a number coming up soon," you say nervously but Tae-Won, your back up, comes to the rescue quick. You take Young-Soo's outstretched hand fast as he starts to drag you down the halls.

"Is it that bad?" you ask worriedly, "You're walking so fast."

He glances back at you, his amethyst eyes intense. "Yes."

When you're about to reach the back entrance towards the alley, you hear the voice of Lord Seungho and your mother on the opposite hall. Young-Soo yanks you against the wall and both of you peer over the edge nervously.

"Is that Lord Seungho?"

But you know the answer to that question. You can see him. Speaking with your mom about something. She hands him some sort of document. He looks upset. You both wait until they're out of view and quickly follow Young-Soo into the alley. The ally has a sky of clotheslines with hanging hanbok and trousers. Young-Soo takes you back to wear the old barrels and both of you hide from view. This is where you have made a little nest for your cat, she's there shielding herself from the rain that has now turned into a sprinkle. The little oil lamp you have shielded inside a crate providing just enough light to see Young-Soo's worried face.

"What's going on?" you say with a tremble, bending down to give her a quick pet before standing up. "Does this have to do with Lord Seungho?"

"Yes," he says, grabbing both your hands. "MN. Your mother has sold you to him."

"No," you stammer. "My mother...wouldn't..."

"Don't be naïve, MN," he cups your face. "That woman has always treated you horridly." Memories reel in your mind of when your father brought her home. She treated you like a son when she was around but as soon as he was gone, she was apathetic, and she remained apathetic when you father went blind. You were just happy to have a mother that you really didn't care. It's true she is not the nicest, but she's your family. She wouldn't do that you would she? "You need to leave, MN," Young-Soo says breaking you from your thoughts.

"Leave?! Where would I go? I don't even have money. I can't believe this," you stammer, feeling your knees buckle. "I was just getting ready for my next show. Are you sure you heard corr—"

Young-Soo covers your mouth and blows the oil lamp in one quick movement. He holds you close against him as your mother calls out to you. He's three more inches taller than you are. You're surprised by his strength that is hidden under a lithe body. He presses tightly behind you.

"MN? Where are you, dear?!"

Through the hanbok you can see as she moves her oil lamp around and you jolt against him when you hear Lord Seungho behind her.

"Where is he, woman?!"

"Calm down, my lord. I am sure he's somewhere around taking care of that damn cat. He will be yours in no time."

Your eyes are wide with her words, and you can only tremble when they go back inside. You can't believe what you heard. How emotionlessly she gives you away. Your mother. The mother that replaced your real one when she died giving birth to you. Your stepmother tried to get pregnant many times and with each loss, her hate for you seemed more apparent, but you never believed it. Because in your heart, she is your family. The only mother you've ever known. Once they're gone, the immensity of what is happening almost knocks you over as you start to breathe heavily.