Home

You get out of the bathtub sighing in relief after today's laborious day. You had prepped the land and planted some seeds that would thrive in this rainy environment. You even went to the market, dressed as a woman, of course. You were happy to have some time alone but as you give yourself a final rinse you pause as you hear the sound of screaming. At first, you're not sure if you are listening correctly. It's not screaming but yelling. Someone is yelling your name and it's not Young-Soo. You get out of the wooden tub as fast as you can, almost slipping on the wet wooden floor. You swiftly slide the lounging hanbok on your naked body and head outside quickly.

Chae-Won races up the short hill out of breath.

"Young-Soo," she yells breathlessly. "Young-Soo is in danger—Lord Seungho has him."

Seo-Ah is now standing at the door looking at you with fear. You slide your sandals on, knowing what this means. You have to go back. 

"I'll take care of it. Don't worry," you assure her over your shoulder rushing down the hill. You grab Chae-Won's hand and start to run. I'll take care of it. The truth is that you're afraid. You're so scared that you're shaking. You don't know how you assure her such a thing when you're unsure if you can take care of it. The trek back seems eternal as Chae-Won cries and explains to you.

"He's gone mad with fury," she sobs. "He knows he helped you. He said if you're not back by nightfall he will kill Young-Soo."

You nod, seeing his eyes of amber in your mind, hearing his rough voice in your ear. The strength that he imposes on you. On everyone. You think about Young-Soo, the kindness that he always gave you, his care, his protection. His laughter. You couldn't possibly forgive yourself if something were to happen to him. The memories of you both together that night under the moon make tears prick your eyes. 

"Please," you mumble in prayer. "Let him be okay."

When you reach the Kisaeng it is as full as it always is, but there are patrons entering through the back doors where only maids and workers could enter before. Doors that Lord Seungho now used as well. You run past Chae-Won and into the back doors, running down the halls where others look at you with fear in their eyes. Please. God. Let him be okay.

Nothing prepares you for what you see next. There are men gathered outside of the entrainment room you had danced in for Lord Seungho. They're lounging outside of the room rice wine dishes on some of their hands.  Their faces are entertained looking at something with such interest that they don't even notice you. Some are doing something under their trousers, their hands moving fiercely. Where is mother? You look around until a moan turns you back to the door. What has happened to this place?

It's Young-Soo. You walk past the man in the limited space.

"You can't be here," you mumble down at them. "You need to leave."

You clutch your lounging hanbok close. Realizing under their lustful stares that you're not wearing much at all. One of them laughs and slaps your behind.

"You should go join them."

You pull away from his touch with disgust and rush inside the room to find Young-Soo completely naked. He is being displayed to the men by Lord Seungho. He stands behind him and nuzzles his neck, holding his chin and forcing him to look at them. The sight fills you with ire as you rush towards him.

"I am here. I am here, please. Leave him alone."

Lord Seungho lets Young-Soo go. Young-Soo immediately falls to his knees. You take him into your arms and brush his long tresses away from his face. "Are you okay?"

You ignore the frustrated murmuring of the men behind the doors.

"You shouldn't have come," he whispers huskily."This is exactly what he wanted. I told Chae-Won not to go."