Rebel Rebel

Ross refused to let me go on my own, and Pete said he wanted to come for the "craic". My response to this was that it wasn't really the time to be thinking about drugs, but I could give him the names of some good dealers later, if crack was what he wanted. Ross and Pete exchanged knowing looks before bursting into fits of laughter.

" Craic is the Irish word for fun, Stella " Pete explained as we wound our way through Picadilly Circus. I made a mental note of the word, and to make certain I would never forget it I used it a couple times myself.

" The craic is mighty in London! I bet Eloise is having great craic for herself! You lads are very craicy! "

Ross and Pete were now laughing so hard that they had to take a breather. We stopped down an empty alley while I sucked up the last of my slushy through the straw and dumped it in a dustbin. My hands were freezing from the ice cold container and I shoved them up under my armpits, cursing lightly under my breath. Trust me to wear a bloody crop top in the middle of November.

Pete grinned at me cheekily and zipped his jacket up to his neck, sighing in comfort. " Thank god I brought this toasty as fuck coat or I'd be freezing my balls off! "

I stuck my tongue out at him and continued walking, the boys following me hurriedly like lost puppies. You could tell they weren't used to city life, the way they shied away from large crowds and jumped in shock whenever a taxi or bus honked. I plowed ahead of them, well used to the bustling streets and various London noises. I'd grown up with this city. I felt as close to home as I ever would here, amongst the manic ever day affairs and the always wacky and wonderful inhabitants. Everyone looked so different here. You could be anyone or anything you wanted to be. And then we moved to Bristol...lovely usual Bristol.

My phone buzzed and I hurriedly fumbled with my jeans pocket, eventually pulling it out. I ignored the sniggers from the lads behind me as I flipped it open and pressed it to my ear, only to pull it away again, squirming in shock. Whatever was happening at the other end of the line, I didn't know, only that it nearly made me deaf. I cautiously held it up once more, straining to hear over the thumping, heart lurching music in the background. Pete and Ross were walking alongside of me now, casually pretending that they weren't listening in.

"Stella, oh my god! You've got to get here right now! Adam's absolutely pissed and he's doing a striptease in my fucking sink; it's brilliant!"

I grimaced and gripped the phone tighter as Pete and Ross upped the volume of their conversation, as if they hadn't just heard Calum's euphoric squeels.

"I can't, Cal. I'm in London, remember?"

Of course he didn't remember. He often used the petty excuse of being "drunk and wasted" for not being able to recall half the stuff I told him but that was something I'd gotten used to. Cal was just Cal.

"Aw yeah babe, I completely forgot. Wow that's shit-"

A sound of crashing glass and screams erupted from behind, cutting him off. I waited patiently for his return, eavesdropping on the hoots and roars of laughter from the latest bash he was at. After two minutes of his silence, I hung up, reluctantly shoving my phone into my pocket. I could've been at that party tonight, losing myself in music and drink and dancing and Calum. Instead I was roaming the endless streets of London for my friend who was probably drinking her way into oblivion with a bunch of strangers.

I looked up at my reality now, at the two boys standing in front of me, awkwardly shuffling from foot to foot. They weren't my usual choice of friends and normally I steered clear of people who could have fun sober. People who don't need drink or drugs to let loose are dangerous. They made me question my sanity. But these boys made me feel the way London did. Ross smiled at me and I found myself instantaneously beaming back.