The Plan

"So... where are you taking me again?" Wilbur asked as Dallas led him through the streets of town; it was getting close to sundown.

"Don't worry, we're almost there." Dallas answered.

"You said that five times already."

"But this time, I mean it. See? We're here."

Wilbur looked and saw that they stopped at an old house with yellow walls, a chimney, and an attached garage. He raised an eyebrow; this house was a good distance away from town square and there weren't a lot of other houses around it either.

"Is this your place or something?" He asked.

"Nope. This house belongs to my employer. It used to be vacant for a little over twenty years, until she bought it a few months back." Dallas answered before knocking on the front door.

Constance answered the door. "Yes, Dallas?"

"Ma'am, I've brought someone that could be quite useful to us." Dallas replied.

'Useful?' Wilbur thought.

"I'll be the judge of that." Constance said, gesturing Wilbur to step forward; he did so. "Who are you?"

"Name's Whovier, Wilbur Whovier. Sales expert, entrepreneur extraordinaire, yadda-yadda. Hi, how you doin'?" Wilbur offered his hand to her, which she reluctantly shook.

"Charmed. And judging by your last name, you are connected to a woman named Martha May?"

"Martha? Yeah, she's my brother's eldest daughter. Why?"

Constance paused before pulling both Wilbur and Dallas into the house and shutting and locking the door.

"Whoa, whoa! Wait! What are you doing, lady? You can't just lock me in here!" Wilbur demanded.

"Come with me, gentlemen." Constance said, leading the two men further into the house.

Wilbur reluctantly followed the Whos until they came across a tiny room. It was the laundry room which also led out into the garage. Constance closed the door after Dallas and Wilbur and turned on the single light bulb hanging from the ceiling, which cast a dirty yellow light onto the three Whos. Wilbur furrowed his brow and folded his arms over his chest.

"Okay, now would you mind telling me what this is all about? What do you want with me?" He asked, growing impatient.

"I'm so glad you asked." Constance replied. "But first, let me ask you this. Do you know... the Grinch?"

"Ugh, not him again. He's just a green freak, what do these people see in him anyway?" Wilbur groaned.

"A fair question. And I'm guessing you must know that he has some kind of connection to your niece, Martha May?"

"Yeah, she married him last Christmas Eve, apparently."

Constance's eyes widened. "They're MARRIED?!"

"Yep. And I'm not too happy about it... mostly because I didn't get an invite to the wedding."

Constance glared at Dallas. "You've failed to mention that little detail."

"Hey, I'm just as surprised as you are! Gimme a break!" Dallas shouted.

She turned her attention back to Wilbur. "Anything else you know?"

"Well, I... spoke with her earlier today and she told me to try and... get to know the guy."

"Pardon?"

"Yeah. She really loves him and she thinks me talking with him to find common ground would be a good idea. Sounds like a total waste of time to me."

"No, wait! Maybe... you should go talk to the Grinch."