Sanity Lost (A Happy Moment)

"I hope everything's okay. It's awfully quiet in there." Euchariah said as he and the rest of Whoville stood outside the doors of town hall.

They've all been waiting outside for a good few minutes; they heard all sorts of muffled noises coming from inside, but then after a while, it went quiet, which greatly worried the townspeople. Martha stood in front of the doors with a worried look on her face, rubbing her arms with her hands. Max was standing next to her, nuzzling against the skirt of her dress; he whimpered up at her.

"I know, Max. I'm worried, too." She told him.

"It's okay, Mayflower." Wilbur said, approaching his niece and wrapping an arm around her shoulders. "I'm sure the Grinch is perfectly fine."

Euchariah sniffed the air, and the Sour Sweet Winds started to die down. Martha nervously pressed her ear against the door to see if she could hear anything at all.

"I wonder." She whispered before she reached out to open the door.

"No, wait for me." Wilber said with worry, following her inside.

Martha, Wilbur, and Max took a peek inside and everything in town hall had turned back to normal. The Grinch closed the wagon with a look of pride on his face before he made his way back to the floor. Martha grinned at the sight of him.

"Grinch!" She cried, running over to him and giving him the biggest hug she could muster; she started crying tears of joy as he hugged her back. "You're okay! Thank goodness."

"Oh, I'm so glad everything's alright." Donna said as she came in.

"Wait, where's Constance?" Euchariah asked as he, Cindy-Lou, and the others entered.

They all looked around the room, but Constance was nowhere to be found. The Grinch scratched his head and furrowed his brow in thought.

"That's weird. I could've sworn she was here a minute ago." He said.

"Where'd she go?" Cindy asked.

"Alright, nobody move!" A new voice said.

They all turned around to see Sheriff Rosyridge, Deputy Zip, and Officer O'Mittens standing with a few other cops in the doorway. Mayor McGerkle quickly approached them with Sergeant McPherson at her side.

"Can we help you, officers?" The Mayor asked.

"Yes, we received a call about an attack and attempted murder not too long ago. Do you know who made the call?" The Sheriff replied.

"Oh, that would be me." Wilbur stepped forward.

"Excellent. You said a woman named Constance May-Who was responsible, yes?" Deputy Zip asked.

"Yes."

"Do you know where she is now?"

Wilbur looked around and noticed something moving behind one of the banners hanging from the ceiling. He smirked and approached it.

"Well, let's see. What could be behind Curtain Number 1?"

He reached out his hand, grabbed the banner, and quickly pulled it away to reveal Constance curled up in a ball on the floor with a terrified and insane look on her face. Everyone gasped in shock.

"Grinch is gonna get me! Grinch is gonna get me!" She repeated, rocking back and forth; her hair was a mess, her fur coat and dress looked completely mangled, her right eye was twitching nonstop, and she had a crazed smile on her face.

Martha gave the Grinch a shocked look, and he simply said, "I told you things would never be the same."

"Whoa..." Cindy said with wide eyes.