A Savage Trick

"So, here we are at last. And you must be Mr. Grinch." Constance turned to face the Grinch with a look of disdain on her face.

Grinch wrapped an arm around Martha's shoulder and pulled her close; he sneered at Constance. "I'm sorry, you are...?"

"Of course, silly me. I am Constance May-Who. Perhaps you know my brother, Augustus?" The old woman replied.

"Brother?!"

"Indeed. And I must say, Mister Grinch... you're even more grotesque in person."

Max growled at her; he was standing in between his owners.

"What are you doing here, Constance?" Martha asked.

"Isn't it obvious? I'm here for your little party." Constance took out her purse and opened it; she started rummaging around in it, looking for something. "And I hope you don't mind, but... I have a little surprise of my own." She took out what looked like a dart gun.

Everyone gasped at the sight.

"You're here to kill me?" Martha asked, narrowing her eyes at her.

"What? Me? Kill you? Oh no, no, no." Constance laughed. "Of course not." She aimed the weapon at the Grinch with an evil grin. "He is." She laid a finger on the trigger.

"No! I won't let you do this!" Wilbur objected, aiming the gun above her.

"Wilbur, I told you not to do anything stupid!" Constance pulled the trigger.

The dart suddenly bounced and ricocheted all over the room until finally, the dart hit the Grinch right in the neck, causing him to cry out pain and fall to his knees. Martha shrieked and kneeled next to her husband as he held the spot on his neck where the dart shot him. Wilbur and Constance stared.

"Hmm, not exactly what I was going for, but I'll take what I can get." She said smugly.

"Oh no, what have I done?" Wilbur muttered in terror.

"Grinch? Grinchy!" Martha said, touching his arms. "Are you okay?"

"What's happening to him?" Bricklebaum asked.

Grinch grunted and groaned as the dart fell out of his neck; he shook and started to growl like an animal.

"What have you done to him?!" Martha demanded, staring daggers at Constance.

"I just shot him with a serum made from the concentrated essence of Monstrous Venom-Virus flowers." Constance proudly said.

"Venom-Virus?"

"That's right. And you know something? I couldn't have done it without YOU, Wilbur." Constance pulled him closer to her.

"W-w-w-what? You... you were...? You were working for her this whole time?" Martha asked in disbelief; her eyes started to fill up with tears as Constance nodded her head. "No... no, no! You're lying!"

"I'm afraid she's not, Martha." Dallas said, joining Constance and Wilbur. "I'm surprised you didn't figure it out sooner, and I thought you were supposed to be smart."

"Uncle... how could you?"

"No, no! Martha, it's not like that! I swear!" Wilbur ran over to his niece and held her hands, but she pushed him away. "I didn't mean to... I-I couldn't, I... I..." He hung his head in defeat. "I'm so sorry."

"You lied to me!" Martha screamed with tears threatening to fall from her eyes.

Seeing the hurt and betrayed look on her face broke Wilbur's heart; he was now regretting his decision to work for Constance even more than before. Soon, everyone turned their heads to see Grinch slowly turning to Martha. He growled a low growl as he slowly got to his feet.