Chapter 6: Boys are Gross

"Okay, okay. When alpha particles go through gold foil, they become...?" you questioned Nancy, holding up some of her flashcards in front of you as you walked backwards to face her. Barbara walked next to the thinking Nancy, gazing off into the distance.

"Unoccupied space."

"Okay next. A molecule that can-'' you didn't even get to finish as the flashcards were tipped out of your hold. Steve Harrington stood behind you, stopping your walking as he rolled his eyes at the flashcards.

"I don't know. I think you've studied enough Nance," he teased, giving Nancy her flashcards back and grabbing her by the shoulder to bring her closer to him.

"Steve please..."

"I'm telling you, you know, you got this. Don't worry. Now, on to more important matters," he said, stopping Nancy near the front of the school entrance as his group appeared out of nowhere next to yours. You went to stand next to Barb in order to avoid being in the closet space of the others. "My dad has left town for a conference and my mom's gone with him, 'cause, you know, she doesn't trust him."

"That's a good call," Tommy laughed from next to Steve.

"Soooo... are you in?"

"In for what?" Nancy asked, pure confusion on her face.

"No parents? Big house? Put it together," Carol said, rolling her eyes at Nancy.

"A party?" you asked, filling in the answer for Nancy to not let her suffer anymore.

"Ding, ding, ding, ding!" Carol exclaimed, pretending to ring a bell in your direction.

"But it's a Tuesday," Nancy said incredulously.

"It's Tuesday! Oh my god-" Tommy started, mocking Nancy and her mannerisms.

"Come on. It'll be low-key. It'll be just us. Are you in or out?" Steve asked, having his hands in front of Nancy as she silently debated the options. She turns to look at you and Barbara, one shaking their head and the other indifferent to the situation. You really didn't want this party thing to happen.

"Oh, god. Look," Carol hissed out, looking at the entrance of the school as Jonathan walked into the letter board.

"Oh god that's depressing," Steve commented as Jonathan took out flyers from his backpack and stapled them on. Others in the hallway were also watching him as he did so.

"Should we say something?"

"I don't think he speaks."

"How much you wanna bet he killed him?"

"Shut up."

Ignoring the disgusting conversation going on, you walked up to Jonathan. He had mentioned not wanting to go to school today but you never guessed that he would still come to do this. Reaching his side you peered at the flyer he was putting up, freezing at the words in bold at the top.

"Are you guys okay? I heard the news last night- the news. I... I'm going to the search party tonight, my mom would too but she's stuck with a midnight shift."

"Yeah. We're okay," he whispered, refusing to look at you.

"Everyone's thinking about you," Nancy said. She stood next to you, having left the group long ago to observe the two of you.

"Yeah, I'm sure you all are."

"I'm sure he's fine. He's a smart kid."

"Nance I don't think that's really helpful right now," you whispered trying to guide Nancy out of the awkward conversation right as the bell rang. Jonathan sighed and tugged his backpack off the floor and left the building without saying anything else to the both of you.