New York is Huge

After some traveling, I made it to my apartment in New York and once the movers moved in all the boxes and furniture I just sighed not knowing even where to start. I finally just sat down on my couch and facetimed Michael.

"Hey, you make it?" Michael asked and I nodded.

"Yeah...I just don't know where to start." I said and he huffed a laugh.

"You should have let me come with you. I could have helped unpack." Michael said and I shook my head.

"No, I need to learn how to survive on my own and be a big girl." I said with a small smile.

"You going to be okay?" Michael said and I nodded.

"Yeah, I think I just need to tackle like the bedroom first and move on from there. It's going to take a few days, I know that." I said.

"When do you start at Macy's?" Michael asked.

"Next week. They wanted to give me time to move in, get situated and everything." I said

"You going to be driving to work?" Michael asked and I shook my head.

"No, I have to pay to park if I do in their parking deck and it's like $35 a day so I figured I could take the subway. I know I have a stop like a block away and I'll just have to figure out where to get off closest to the store." I said and Michael groaned.

"I hate you are taking the subway and never been in New York before." Michael said and I laughed.

"Michael I took them when I was here on my trip for my interviews. I'll be okay." I said and he sighed.

"I worry okay, You're my baby sister, I have to worry." Michael said and I sighed. We were silent for a minute.

"Brooke told me the real reason you guys were fighting..." Michael spoke up and I sighed.

"I'm sorry..."

"For what? Trying to save my marriage? For telling the guy to back off I thank you." Michael said and I smiled.

"I do what I can." I said. I heard his front door open and I knew it was Hunter coming home from school.

"Hey come say hi." Michael said and he ran over and I smiled seeing Hunter.

"Hey dude! How was school?" I asked.

"Good, I told my friends you moved to New York and I get to come visit you at the holidays. They are so jealous." Hunter said and I smiled.

"Well we will get it all worked out okay." I said and he nodded. I heard my stomach growl.

"Okay well I'm going to go ahead and order in some early dinner. I love you guys." I said.

"Well love you too." Hunter said and I hung up.

I then looked around my apartment and stood up.

"Time to start unpacking, then dinner." I said and moved a few boxes back to my bedroom.

🎺🎺🎺🎺🎺

After dinner and unpacking for a while I needed a break. I decided to go for a walk around the neighborhood to see what I could find and what was around. I found a small bar around the corner and smiled as I walked in I heard jazz music playing. I smiled knowing I loved Jazz, only one in my family that did. I walked up and sat at the bar.

"What can I get you?" The bartender asked.

"Whiskey sour please." I said and he nodded making me a drink.

"You ordered his specialty." I heard a voice say beside me and I turned to see Nick sitting down and I groaned.

"Of course of all the bars I walk into I see my sister in laws...New York fling." I said thinking of something to call him.

"Hey now...we never had anything. I helped her out, that is it." Nick said and I sighed. "And she is your sister-in-law?" Nick asked and I nodded.

"Yeah, Michael, her husband, is my older brother." I said. Nick just sighed.

"Listen, I don't know what Brooke has said about that night but I'm here to tell you, I was never wanting to wreck her marriage. Was there maybe something there on my end, maybe, I don't know I was an emotional mess that night." Nick said and I just looked at him and huffed a laugh as my drink was set down in front of me.

"Emotional mess huh? Why get dumped or something that night?" I asked and he shook his head.

"No but I was going to see the girl who dumped me years ago hoping to win her back." Nick said.

"How did that go?" I asked.

"She was with someone else and pregnant." Nick said and looked at him.

"Shit...sorry." I said and he shook his head.

"No it was what I needed to see, hear...I needed to move on."

"To Brooke..." I said and he groaned.

"You wont stop will you?" Nick asked and I sighed.

"When she comes back flustered, still fighting with my brother and about to ruin her marriage, I don't know what to think." I said. I could tell he was getting aggravated as was I.

"Maybe you should talk to your brother and tell him to keep his dick in his pants and Brooke would have had to do what she did." Nick said and got off his barstool walking away. I clenched my jaw, finished my drink in one swig, threw some money on the bar and walked out.

If I never saw Nick Vaughan again, it would be too soon. Thankfully New York was huge.