Chapter Eleven // Clarisse Turns Into a Negotiator and a Pyromaniac

"You are in so much trouble."

    I rolled my eyes as I took a bite of one of the peanut butter sandwiches.

    The daughter of Ares had shown us around her steamboat, which was manned by a bunch of Confederate zombies. They hated Percy because he told them he was from New York, and they were super weird around me after I cursed out the stupid Hydra for ruining our stuff in Spanish.

    It was like they weren't sure what to do with me, so I just ignored them.

    The steamboat was pretty impressive, I was not gonna lie, but I was too tired to pay attention to all of what was happening, so I just followed my brothers, friend, and Clarisse around until we got to the captain's quarters and sat down to eat dinner.

    I was beyond fine with eating food made by the ghosts who were hanging around the room. It almost felt normal to be around them.

    "Tantalus expelled you for eternity," Clarisse smirked at us. "Mr. D said if any of you show your face at camp again, he'll turn you into squirrels and run you over with his SUV."

    "Did they give you this ship?" Percy questioned.

    "' Course not. My father did."

    "Ares?"

    "You think your daddy is the only one with sea power? The spirits on the losing side of every war owe a tribute to Ares. That's their curse for being defeated. I prayed to my father for a naval transport, and here it is. These guys will do anything I tell them. Won't you, captain?"

    The captain was still angry behind her, his glowing green eyes resting on my brother's face, "If it means an end to this infernal war, ma'am, peace, at last, we'll do anything. Destroy anyone."

    "Destroy anyone. I like that." Clarissa smiled, her eyes glimmering with delight.

    Tyson gulped next to me, and I put a hand on his arm, letting him know everything would be okay.

    "Clarisse," Annabeth spoke up, "Luke might be after the Fleece, too. We saw him. He's got the coordinates, and he's heading south. He has a cruise ship full of monsters—"

    "Good! I'll blow him out of the water."

    "You don't understand. We have to combine forces. Let us help you—"

    "No!" Clarisse slammed her hands on the table. "This is my quest, smart girl! Finally, I get to be the hero, and you three will not steal my chance."

    Then she glanced at me nervously before glaring at Percy, who asked, "Where are your cabin mates? You were allowed to take two friends with you, weren't you?"

    "They didn't...I let them stay behind. To protect the camp."

    I didn't say anything about the hesitation in her voice at admitting that.

    Meaning nobody wanted to come.

    I kinda felt bad for her.

    "You mean even the people in your own cabin wouldn't help you?" Percy said, almost sounding smug.

     "Shut up, Prissy! I don't need them! Or you!"

    "Clarisse, Tantalus is using you. He doesn't care about the camp. He'd love to see it destroyed. He's setting you up to fail."

    "No! I don't care what the Oracle—"

    Finally, I tilted my head, "What did the Oracle say?"