02 - Our Sport Encounter

PDE was my next class. It was fun until you ended up face first with a ball. As I completed my final step on the staircase, I quickly dashed off to my class, swiftly gliding through blurred faces.

I managed to arrive before any of my classmates, as they were trotting slowly trying to get through a herd of students. As the last students in my class arrived, I chattered with my friends, beaming as we talked about random topics that kept us occupied. The teacher arrived soon after the school was deserted, and we were the only ones in the open.

"Alright! Let's mark the roll before we start doing warmups," the teacher yelled. We eventually settled and sat on the crumbling concrete that had been battling with torrential rain at the beginning of the year. As usual, Charlie and I were challenging each other to crouch until either of us would fall. I was not surprised when she decided to sabotage me after she lost.

After the teacher had finished marking the roll, we were instructed to run around the designated area for 2 laps. My class's ratio of males and females was drastically uneven as there were more females than males. This made it clear that, stereotypically, some girls were slightly sporty like my friend and I, while the rest were dainty by nature. But I didn't mind as I was ahead of my game in first position in running.

Even though it's not a race, I would treat it as a motivation for me to continue strong. Sadly, I was overtaken by the cross-country boys. They were flexing about how much they were superior to others, ironic isn't it? Some of the students had already finished running 2 laps around the area while the rest of the class was either walking or lightly jogging.

"I need 2 students to get the rackets, tennis balls, and nets,'' the teacher instructed. While the 2 students volunteered to retrieve the equipment, the teacher handed out another instruction that we should find a partner to practise our tennis skills. My friend decided to collaborate with someone else who was also a skilled tennis player like her, as I was left stranded and alone.

I walked around, to my realisation that I was standing in front of him. "Can I join you and your partner in tennis?" I said bluntly. I guess my heart was silenced by my mind, as that feeling when I encountered him in the library was vague and chaotic.

His partner said yes as we found a decent spot to start. We eventually played for a while until the net layout was empty. I found myself partnered with him when playing a duel with his partner, since he was an experienced tennis player. It was fun as we played together. I felt at ease when he was around. A subtle smile appeared on my face as I realised emotions were unlocking as the clouds passed by in the blue sky.

Throughout the sports session, I slipped in and played with my friend until class ended. As the final seconds lingered to their deathbeds, I glanced back at him one more time, admiring.

***

The bell rang once more after lunch ended. The breeze was bittersweet while the trees danced as I walked to the water fountain to fill my bottle. Blurred faces once more surrounded me as I strided by, wondering what inspiration would brush by.

Walking back to my designated meet up line, I was cut short by him. He was passing by, making me stop a few centimetres before he realised I was there. Eventually, he settled down as I cautiously sat next to him. His friends arrived as they sat around us. I decided to strike up a conversation with them. I must say it was a very intriguing talk, but I mostly listened to what they had to add in.

I caught a glimpse of him.

Wait.

To my surprise, he was watching an episode of a series that I was familiar with. I think he noticed me staring at his phone as he tilted it in my direction. I moved closer to him as I was partially helping him not to get caught as well as blocking the sunlight, so there was no glare on the phone screen.