10 - GERONIMO!

As camp was about to come to an end. I arose from my sleeping bag to a gut-wrenching feeling in my stomach. Either the long period of congestion in my intestines or the feeling of going back to school to be faced with a bucket load of assessments I think it was the first option because, man, whatever the organisers did to the food is finally kicking in. I groaned in pain as I headed to the bathroom. Thank God, I wasn't the only one; a bunch of other students weren't coping that well. The day went by as my class went to do the first activity of the day. We headed to an open field as it was full of clovers. Instantly, I thought of finding a four-leaf clover, and to my luck, I found a bunch. My classmates were taken aback by the amount of clovers I found. I beamed as I looked at how much I'd found.

The organisers called out for everyone to form a circle, and as I walked, I ended up standing next to him. Fiddling with my hands, I felt nervous. The way he stood there effortlessly made me wonder if he knew the amount of eye contact that I had conflicted up on him. I exhaled as I began to shift my focus on the instructor. The first activity they had in mind was going through this hoop while holding hands with one another. Pursing my lips, I thought about this: mostly these activities I would see were with idols doing this, the euphoric moment when I realise we can do this the easiest way possible. To my dismay, the hoop has to stay within the chain of people while holding hands. Sighing, I glanced to the ground.

This sucks.

Suddenly, a hand brushed past mine as I glanced up towards the person. Of course, we were already starting, and I wasn't prepared to hold his hand. Palm sweating, I slowly looked to my right; we had already grabbed each other's hands, as everyone else has with the person next to them. Surprisingly, when our hands clashed against each other, we somehow fumbled and intertwined our fingers. I felt my heart leap out of my throat to see the sunlight for the first time because, the moment I held hands with him, I felt I was on cloud 9. A bit delusional, but for a good cause because I won't ever do this again.

***

After our final activity was done, everyone was rounded up as we started our move slowly to the bus. I reminisced the time that everyone was having fun and that my year wasn't that bad as I thought, but it bothers me somehow.

~

As the cicadas whispers their final bidding, I flopped onto the top bunk. Still recovering from all the motion that I have put myself in, I felt my surrounding shifting as I slowly grabbed a hold onto the bed railing. My stomach is weak but I sure don't know when to take a break from this madness. Before I could get out of the trance, my phone buzzed and everything went dead still. I arose from my slumber checking my notification.

It was him.

20:45 - Bus trip to and from home is best part of our camp trip

I smiled as my fingers hovered over the keyboard as I typed:

20:48 - I be enjoying my bus sickness and sleep

Smiling I looked up to my surrounding as my cabin mates were chaotically packing and unpacking their stuff before we had to leave the next morning. My phone buzzed again. 

21:02 - Need me there?

I stared at the message, speechless. What was he trying to imply here? Was he that keen to have me sitting next to him for the whole bus ride back to school. Didn't he not want to hang with his friends? 

Why out of all people-

I gulped as my hands begin to tremble, this is weird. Unconsciously, I started to type.