04 - Denial or Acceptance?

Who in the world?-

I checked the name and realised it was him, until I looked at the time he messaged. A wave of overthink lingered around me as I shut my eyes, screaming internally. I quickly replied.

15:49: Yeah omg sorry for the late reply I wasn't on gmail at the time you messaged.

I turned off my phone as I nervously waited.

Waiting.

Waiting.

Ding!

I looked at my screen as the message read:

15:53: alg

I stared at it blankly and slowly typed: Do you need help with poetry or you're alright?

Another ding invaded my headphones as I read the message he sent

15:55: Nah I'm good really, just seeing the competition, so far you're the greatest competitor so far.

Was he trying to intimate or shower me with a blunt compliment? I scoffed as I rolled my eyes, timidly smiling.

15:56: Thanks, good luck with your poem.

***

The weekends truly bid me farewell and abandoned me to face another week. I didn't get a break after that intuitive moment, as he and I texted constantly for two weeks straight, every single day. I really had the urge to ask about or compliment him on anything, especially poetry. If I had to describe him to others, I would say that he is an enigmatic poet. That's pretty cringeworthy of me, but it's strangely true. Everything about him and his aura consumes me like a siren preying on its victim. I was the victim, and he was the unwitting captor. He was talented in all of his subjects, and his words were delicately arranged, making it hard to not be under his spell.

The point I was making was unrealistically true, even though people will see him as an ordinary person who is quiet and reserved. That was what I thought. He was a completely different person behind my back, as he seemingly had flaws like I did. I guess everyone is human, and people will either perceive you to be the most perfect human they ever saw or met or quite the opposite.

Quietly reminiscing about the beginning of this year, I thought of the many times I've encountered his presence. It makes me want to rewind the orbit of the Earth to have a second shot at this year. I've been having deja vu lately when he recreates the same forgotten memories. His version of my life appears to be full of adventure and laughter.

Tuesday was a slog, and Wednesday was, well, the closest thing to a Friday. Do I really have to go through-

Ding!

I fumbled to get my phone, to my pure surprise and shock it was him:

22:25: I JUST WATCHED ALL OF STRANGER THINGS

My gaze widened as I was utterly lost for words. The last time we talked about Stranger Things was last Thursday. Why in the world was he up all night watching Stranger Things on a school night? I messaged back in awe as he responded within seconds. I was pretty impressed and, at the same time, concerned. All I know is that I was cautious after thoroughly observing his life and characteristics. Cautionary enough to consider the "what ifs" in life decisions and the level of temptation to change the game here. However, I can't; it could ruin my chance to get to know him better.

Wait.

Was this really happening? I lowered my phone and looked blankly at the arriving train. Without any motivations, I subconsciously walked in.