Chapter 2: Beyond the Torii Gates

Author's Note:

Thank you very much for reading my story. As a novice writer, it brings me joy that you give notice to this small piece of work. I would very much appreciate it as well if I were to receive feedback and comments from my readers as they help motivate me. Anyway, please continue supporting this story and I hope you enjoy reading this chapter. Wah!

The girl before me smiled. "Welcome to the Solemn Ruins," she greeted. "I have been expecting you for quite a while now."

I stood there motionless and speechless. She had such a calm and pleasant voice that her words made me feel somewhat drowsy. However, I was not about to suddenly fall asleep so I smacked myself awake. This sudden action of mine surprised her, but just a little.

"Are you perhaps alright?" she asked.

I nodded. "Yes. Just needed to wake me up a bit," I replied.

"I see. I apologize if you still feel sleepy. It can't be helped."

"It's okay. Anyway, would you mind telling me what's going on? If remember correctly, I went to sleep and the next thing I know is that I'm already here."

"Well, allow me to enlighten you. You see, you're still asleep in your room right now. What you are right now is a soul. You were brought here because you have met both conditions required to be a Takodachi."

"Wait. Did you just say Takodachi? What do you mean by met both conditions?"

She chuckles. "What I meant by conditions is that you responded to AO-chan's call with a 'WAH!' several months ago. Did you not?"

"I do remember uttering some word when I woke up from a dream I had."

She nodded. "That was the first condition. The second one was having a strong emotion towards me, your Priestess."

"H-hold on! Wait a minute... Did you just say, Priestess? What are you even talking about? I don't even remember joining some other religion."

"Are you sure about that statement?" she asked.

"Yes. I think."

"Then does the word Tentacult remind you of anything?"

Upon hearing that word, my mind began to piece things together. Slowly, I kind of began to understand what is happening. I didn't know if what I was thinking was something crazy but it made sense. I just needed to confirm it.

"M-mind if I asked you a question?" I asked.

"Sure. Go ahead."

"Are you...by any chance...Ninomae Ina'nis?"

Upon asking the question, it feels as if everything went silent for me. The rain was still pouring around me and yet I can't hear it. Then from the silence, came a voice, a voice which I heard in my head.

"Indeed, I am. It took you long enough to notice. I guess having one brain cell during a situation like this hinders one's thinking."

I looked at Ina; she didn't seem to be looking at me and wasn't blinking either. It was like she was in some sort of trance.

"Don't give me that look. This is just how it is when I use telepathy. I can stop now if it bothers you that much," she said