11; HAIRPIN TRIGGER

AUTUMN MOON

11; HAIRPIN TRIGGER

YOU ARE SPECIAL, ELI.

SHE MET TJ THE SUMMER BEFORE JUNIOR YEAR

SHE MET TJ THE SUMMER BEFORE JUNIOR YEAR. He was Luke's best cornerback, slim with long limbs. He was fast, too fast for the other team's defense to keep up, and could catch anything thrown at him. 

She knew  TJ, but she'd never actually met him before that blistering summer day when he walked up to them after practice and introduced himself. 

"You're Eli, right?" 

She'd looked up from where she was sitting with her friends in the bleachers and squinted at him, the sunlight blinding behind him and creating a dazzling halo effect. 

TJ was very handsome - the kind of handsome that wandered into 'unattainable' territory at times - but he'd started at Camelback High a few months before summer started and he already had a bit of a reputation. It was easy to see why, with his smooth coffee-colored skin, perfectly groomed eyebrows, and deep hazel eyes. 

Here there be dragons, Eli thought as she looked up at this beautiful, beautiful boy wreathed in golden sunshine. 

"I might be. Who's asking?"

Her friends all went silent and their widened eyes bounced back and forth between TJ and Eli, enraptured. 

He smirked, and a large dimple appeared on his left cheek. 

"I am," he said confidently, holding his hand out for her to shake. "I'm TJ. It's such a pleasure to meet you, Eli Swan." 

Wary but not wanting to be rude, Eli placed her hand in his and started to shake it. He pulled it closer to him, leaning his head down and staring into her eyes as he kissed the back of her hand lips soft and gentle on her skin.