08; SLOW DANCING IN THE DARK [part i]

AUTUMN MOON

08; SLOW DANCING IN THE DARK

REMEMBER THAT YOU NEVER HAVE TO GO THROUGH IT ALONE.

content warning: cannabis use

A LOW FOG ROLLS ACROSS THE FOREST FLOOR AND THE TOWERING TREES OVERHEAD CAST EERIE SHADOWS ON THE PINE AND MOSS UNDER HER BARE FEET. She doesn't feel the cold - the goosebumps that rise along her skin instead sprouting from the unsettling darkness in the spaces between the trees where the moon doesn't shine. Still, she continues to walk through the strangely familiar woods in the sleeping shorts and silk camisole she wore to bed.

Softly - so low that she almost thinks she's imagining it - the delicate and ethereal tones of a piano being played in the distance makes Eli suddenly feel as if she's been suspended in time. The music soothes her fears and uplifts her spirit. Warmth spreads from the inside out, heating her from the tips of her ears down to the tops of her toes.

Eli suddenly feels like a wraith gliding through the mist - like something ancient and ethereal that has belonged to this forest for longer than time can remember.

She isn't sure how long she's been walking for when she steps into a large clearing littered with tall white flowers that glow softly in the pale moonlight. The piano in the distance grows louder and suddenly Eli can feel it in her bones as she takes in the enchanting beauty of the clearing around her. Tilting her head, she breathes in the sweet, heady aroma of the flowers and the crisp night-time air and sighs happily up at the swirls of constellations overhead.

Eli smiles at the stars before beginning the trek to the middle of the clearing. She feels weightless as she walks, careful not to step on any of the glowing flowers brushing her knees. The music continues to echo in her ribcage; her joints; the fibers and cells that make up who she is.