09; SLOW DANCING IN THE DARK [part ii]

AUTUMN MOON

09; SLOW DANCING IN THE DARK [part ii]

MY NAME IS SAM ULEY AND WE HAVE A FEW THINGS TO DISCUSS, PUP.

content warning: drug abuse

TILTING HER FACE TO THE SKY, ELI FEELS THE GENTLE OCEAN BREEZE KISS HER SKIN AND LETS IT WASH AWAY THE ANXIETY AND FEAR THAT LINGERS IN THE MARROW OF HER BONES. There's not a single break in the gloomy clouds above, casting the world in deep hues of grey and blue. The ocean laps in gentle waves onto the shore, and wet sand squelches between her bare toes as she walks along the shoreline. Something about this Pacific Northwest scenery has always brought a strange feeling to Eli - something inexplicable tugging on her solar plexus chakra, something that makes her want to run out into the forest and embrace whatever's waiting for her out there.

Charlie catches up to her and rests a hand on her shoulder, squeezing it gently. She turns and makes eye contact, smiling softly at the kindness in her father's chocolate eyes. "I'm good, Chief," she says, answering his unspoken inquiry before gesturing at the scenery around them. "I've just really missed this, and I'm so glad to be back home."

She watches Charlie's eyes fill with emotion at the word "home" and feels a pang of guilt lance through her. Though her dad doesn't show it often, Eli has always had a special connection with the gruff man and can tell how the absence of her and Bella in his life hurts him deeply. It used to be a source of conflict between the twins when they were younger - Eli never felt it fair that she was spirited away by her mother as a baby, because if it had been her choice, she would have stayed and grown up in Forks. Bella always felt the opposite and never showed much interest in getting to know their Dad or visiting him. It was something they often fought about in the past, Eli blaming their mother for their estrangement from their father and Bella defending Renee, claiming that she did what she felt was best at the time.

Being here with him now, Eli regrets not pushing harder to spend more time with him. She adores Charlie, and vows then and there to make up for all the lost time by being fully present with him now.