Chapter 45

"My mind is like my web browser. 

19 tabs are open. 3 are frozen. 

And I have no idea where the music is coming from"

"We are trying our best Ms. Shastri. But you need to understand that all the evidence is against your sister."

"I understand Mr. Avasthi" Riddhima nodded her head and looking gravely at the lawyer she said "I understand that all shreds of evidence are against my sister and I also accept the fact that my sister is not completely innocent. But I can give you a written statement that my sister will never kill anyone."

"Yes, but you see the court does not work like that. They need concrete proof and we don't have any. To make matters worse the other party is trying to expedite the case. We are trying from our end but please try to speak with your sister. Maybe she knows something that may help us. Till then we will try to hold off the next hearing and look for other loopholes"

As Riddhima left Mr. Avasthi's assistant lawyer asked him "isn't she to be Mrs. VRS? Why is he not helping her? With his connections..."

Mr. Avasthi sighed as he looked after the girl. He was surprised when he saw her in his office requesting him to take her sister's case. With backing like Vansh Raisinghania, she could have hired any top lawyer. It's not like he was not successful, he was a damn good lawyer but then again compared to the one he was standing against... Maybe all is not well in paradise. Maybe Vansh Raisinghania has lost interest... It was his friend and her mentor Batra who gave her his contact. He had heard many good praises from Batra for this girl. And this case was a challenge. Though he unequivocally knew the chances of winning this case were very thin, he did not want to let it go...

*****

Riddhima disconnected the call and looked at Sia.

"Sejal is upset"

Sia hesitated "why don't you speak to Bhai"

"You know my reasons, Sia. I don't want his help. Otherwise, he will help me now, and later on, I will have to pay him in the kind I would not like."

"But see Bhai is trying to change for you. He is even giving you the space"

"Ha! What space Sia. He is abroad for the last few days for his work. He is doing it for himself. Once he returns...."

"You have the freedom to go anywhere now provided you take the security and that is a valid ask considering all the media attention due to Sejal's case..."

"Freedom to go anywhere I want has always been mine. It's your brother who took it away. And what freedom at the end of the day I have to return here not at my own home where my sister stays and neither can I stay with Nia. I just wish I had never listened to my sister. I wish I never came to that Party. Then we would never even know each other."

Sia shook her head, Riddhima was stubborn.

"Actually you still would have been in this soup even if you had never attended that party." A voice drawled out

"Excuse me?" Riddhima frowned at Ishani

"You see, even I wish you had never attended that party. But then I thought about it. Your sister works for VR Corporate. If not at the party then you surely would have met him at the time of the theft. Didn't your sister try to steal from my Bhai? As long as your sister was working for Vansh Bhai you were bound to meet him considering your sister's greedy nature. And if I am not wrong for him it was love, lust, obsession, or whatever you call it at first sight. It was a matter of time..." Ishani shrugged