5 - Camera's

Chapter 5

"So this information you gathered from Xenon, It'll help us hack into their system?" Jason asked Tim who was busy typing into the Batcave computer.

"Yes, by tonight I should have access to their live cameras," He answered with a set of blue-stained lips before taking a sip of his blue-raspberry-flavored energy drink.

"What about surveillance from the night Dick got whacked?" Jason asked as he leaned over the desk to peer at the screen closer. Unsurprisingly Tim was very skilled with computers and it always seemed to impress his older brother.

"That's stored in an offshore encrypted file that I can't access without the physical hard drive it's stored on, there was one at the lab but when you set the emergency alarm off it self-destructed," Tim said while giving him a side eye of disappointment.

"Hey, that wasn't my fault!" Jason argued.

"You blew up their front door with a grenade!" Tim countered dramatically as he emphasized the word grenade.

"How else were we supposed to make a banging entrance?!" Jason queried with concerningly no trace of sarcasm.

"It was a covert mission! We weren't supposed to 'make an entrance' we were just supposed to enter! COVERTLY!" Tim said while slapping his forehead.

"Pshhh, whatev-" Jason started but was interrupted by Tim and his unnecessarily extra loud clicking of the keyboard.

Meanwhile, Alyna was helping Maggie down in the cafe. Yesterday, once the cafe had closed Maggie and Alyna, spent the rest of the day walking around Gotham getting Alyna some essentials like clothes, shoes, bathroom stuff, and even a bit of makeup. Alyna felt rather guilty since she couldn't help pay for anything but was reassured that Maggie's parents left behind more money than she could ever need or use which did make her feel a bit better. 

They also got to know each other better and for the first time in her entire life, Alyna laughed full-heartedly. She was also introduced to many, many, many new things. Like Poki for example, who was Maggie's fat and fluffy orange Persian cat that liked to sleep in a small banana-shaped hammock Maggie hung up between two support pillars in the upstairs kitchen.

"So I was thinking since the Cafe is going to be closed tomorrow it would be a good time to get you enrolled at school," Maggie started as Alyna placed an empty cappuccino cup into the sink. "I called earlier and the principal agreed to see us at nine,"

"In the morning?!" Alyna loudly croaked with wide eyes.

"You do realize school starts at eight, right?" Maggie chuckled as she grabbed the cup and started washing it with a shake of her head.

"But Monday is my one day to sleep in!" Alyna complained.

"Was. It WAS your one day to sleep in," Maggie corrected with a laugh.

"Ugh, but-" Alyna started but was interrupted by the sound of the cafe bell alerting them to the presence of a customer.

"You'll be fine, if I could do it for 21 years you can too" Maggie quipped with a grin.

"21 years?!?!" Alyna shouted out in surprise as Maggie walked out of the kitchen and towards the counter where the customer was waiting. Alyna went to follow her but the sight of the customer stopped her dead in her tracks. Martin. One of Dimitri's loyal scientists. Stood there ordering coffee as if he wasn't one of the people responsible for all the torture and pain Alyna experienced her whole life. As if he was just a normal person and not the monster Alyna knew he was. Alyna couldn't move, fear quickly passed through her veins as she pictured Dimitri storming the Cafe, killing Maggie, and taking her back to Xenon Corp.