Chapter 3: The Letter

Third-Person POV:

13 YEARS AGO

"Seriously, Daisy? Second place? Are you trying to make us look bad?" The girl sniffed as she tightly held her shabby second-place trophy in her hands. Her mother, outraged, pulled up to their expensive new and stormed out of the car, her wife and adopted daughter following.

"Your mother and I have pulled our weight trying to get you to become something more than just some pathetic child that leeches off our money, what did you do? Embarrass us in front of all our of everyone!" Her mother screeches. Tears drip from Daisy's ice-blue eyes. Her other mother looks at her stiffly, arms crossed. 

"I-I'm sorry, Mom!" She sobbed. Her mother rolls her eyes. "Do better next time. And throw that revolting piece of garbage away. I can't stand looking at it any longer." Her mothers rush inside, leaving their daughter out in the cold with nothing but her sorrow. 

"It's not fair! All my friends don't have to do so much! I don't want to be on the cheerleading team, or be Head Girl, or be a part of some stupid party-planning committee! I don't want that!" Her mother turns and stares at her viciously. 

"I don't care what you want. This isn't about you. This is about me having a perfect daughter. So stop complaining." Daisy slammed her brand-new cheerleading outfit her mother had gotten her on the floor and stormed upstairs. She cried into her pillow.

"Why does my life have to suck so much..." 

"Aw, you're sure you can't make it?" Sadie asks. Daisy nods gloomily. "My mothers would never allow me to have a sleepover. Besides, I'm way too busy with Head Girl duties and the party-planning committee." She sighs. 

"You're moms put way too much pressure on you, Dais. Haven't you talked to them about this?" Daisy shrugs. "They're more concerned about their reputation than me, to be honest." Sadie hugs her friend. 

"Why don't you move in with me? My dad lets me do whatever I want! You'd be less stressed." Daisy smiles. "Thanks, Sadie, you're a great friend." Sadie grins. "Best friend." 

"Hey!" Yells a peach-haired boy strutting down the hallway, approaching a group of friends. "Who's that?" Asks Daisy as she watches the boys greet. Sadie's eyes narrow.

"That's Jake Sterling. A real douche. He thinks he's better than everyone because his life is perfect." Daisy eyes the boy. "Perfect," She mumbles, watching him. 

Then she got an idea. An awful idea. Daisy got a wonderful, awful idea.

PRESENT-DAY

The fire crackled as the heavy fall of snow attacked the frosty windows. The harsh winter winds whistled outside as the decorative Christmas tree glows in delight. The present which had appeared underneath Jake and Hailey's tree was laying on the table, the wrapping untouched and glistening in the fire. The letter which had been glued a top of it lay beside it, open slightly.

The six friends stared at the collage of items, unsure looks spread across their faces. "It can't be Daisy, right?" Milly asked, the cold wasn't the thing that made her shake. "Well was it any of you?" Hailey asked sternly. Her friends' faces dropped as they continued to stare the letter down.