Sinner

Growing up in a small town in the state of Michigan I never really had any friends. I lived with my mother Sharon, my father Dan, my sister Shelby, and my brother Brendan. We were that family that everyone knew. Walking down the street there was always someone yelling "Good Morning!" or "Nice weather we're having, yea?". The town that I lived in was very religious and not the good kind of religious. If you were divorced, committed adultery, were a prostitute, or any part of the LGBT community, you were practically put first in line on a ride straight to hell.

There was a big flaw with me living in that town. I'm gay. If my family or the town had found out about this I would be shunned for the rest of my life and would have to move out of the state and start a new life somewhere else. I always told myself I wasn't gay. There was no way that me, James Cunningham, the first born son of Rev. Dan Cunningham was gay! I prayed all the time about this. Asking God to make my "gayness" go away. I was told almost everyday that being gay was a deadly sin, that if you're gay God hated you. Those words were never stated by my father though. Everyone that I went to Church with said that, but never my father or even my mother at that.