- 𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐒𝐢𝐱

"I have loved the moon too fondly
to be fearful of the night."

─── · 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

Devika was currently sat against the wall in the hallway, it wasn't too late, probably around midday, but the corridor seemed darker than usual. Maybe it was her mood... something was wrong with the lights perhaps? She'd have to check later.

She couldn't hear the foster father and son anymore, so she assumed they were finished with their argument. Gaining a sigh of relief from the woman.

Normally, she'd be able to mask her emotions well enough to be unnoticeable. However, there was something about the argument she had witnessed that made her feel ...sad?

No. Sad wasn't the word... Miserable, bleak, upset? No, those weren't the words either.

In truth, Devika didn't know how she was feeling at that moment. Was she angry, sad, annoyed? Countless other emotions spiralled in her head. Eventually, said feelings were soon forgotten as she stared at the plain, grey wall in front of her.

"You okay?"

Devika quickly turned her head to find Joe, walking towards her, a concerned look painted across his face. Turns out he didn't leave after all.

"Yeah. Yeah I'm uh, I'm fine." Devika replied, trying to wipe away the tear stains on her cheeks.

" Devika, I'm a cop." He paused for a moment, proceeding to then sit down next to her, " ..and as a cop and also a father, you get pretty good at reading people. Whats wrong?"

"Nothing it's just - It's just you talking to Barry like that reminded me of the last conversation I had with..." Devika took a breath, looking at Joe then back at her hands, "With my brother."

"Your brother..?" Joe's brows raised slightly, watching the girl closely. His expression became much softer than what it was earlier with Barry.

Devika nodded her head as she took another, slightly shakier, breath. A light chuckle then coming out of it. "When I was thirteen, my brother was murdered."

Joe felt himself hesitate at what he heard. It was certainly, unexpectedly dark. Even so, he was still willing to listen. Possibly the fatherly side of him coming into play.

"I remember the last conversation I had with him.. was when he told us about what he was doing at University." She continued, a distant look replacing the once calm one.

─── · 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

[ 11 years ago ]

"I don't understand why you can't be happy for me? Why are you so against me becoming a police officer?!" Aidan shouted at the thirteen-year-old version of Devika.

"Because I want to come home knowing that my brother's safe! I want to know that he hasn't been shot in the chest or paralyzed from the waist down!" She screamed back, fists clenched tight.

"It's not like I'll die on my first day there Dev! It's unlikely I'll die at all!" He raised his voice once more.

"Why can't you just see it from my perspective? What would you do if I told you I wanted to be an officer?" Devika, with a strained voice, asked towards the man ahead of her.