12 | To the Grave

VIOLET'S BODY WAS TO BE BURIED IN DARWIN on the 30th, only a couple of days after her death.

Robin and Christina were set to be there by midday, choosing to use the train as their safest method of getting to Darwin.

Despite it being in the middle of the day, the sun had long disappeared behind the gray clouds that swarmed across the sky, rendering the inside of the station dark and gloomy, its roof merely being an aid to cover them from the rain.

Christina was rethinking this plan. Perhaps it was more suitable to have gone by car, but the idea of having parts of her vehicle stolen by Darwinites wasn't appealing. Instead, they stood on the worn-out platform, the stench of piss invading their senses, surrounded by the kinds of people that made her uncomfortable. She clutched tightly to her purse, peeking at Robin to find her comfortably standing by the edge, staring down the railroads, seemingly lost in a trance.

The redhead wondered if she felt the same as her. It was hard to read her, even harder the past few days. She sighed and looked around, checking the screen once again. The train was set to arrive in precisely eleven minutes. She drew a long breath. She couldn't wait to embark, take her seat and rest until they arrived at Darwin. She was going to need the energy.

Her vigilance proved useful, when she noticed a man, seemingly old, bald, and a little bulky, walking past them. Christina eyed him carefully, eyes fleetingly moving to catch Robin's defensive stance in time. She had grown used to that stance by now, as it was bewildering how indifferent she looked on the exterior - shoulders back, posture straight, chin up. But she knew she was paying attention. She knew she was alert.

The man was a good meter away from them, and Christina slowly relaxed - until she caught him eying the woman standing next to a vending machine. Her eyes narrowed, watching as he slowly approached her, making small talk. He was asking about the dog she had on a leash, the small Pomeranian calmly sitting by her feet. The woman was taking longer than intended to answer, a polite smile on her lips, looking around at anything but him.

The two women watched, waiting for him to slip, waiting for him to expose his true intentions. Christina noted they weren't the only ones to notice the odd interaction, as another woman who passed by with her boyfriend turned her head to look, slowing down their pace.

The man was oblivious to the sudden shift in the air - to the sudden tension charging around them. He carried on like nothing was happening around him. Robin believed he was playing dumb; he knew damn well the woman felt unsafe, yet he was taking advantage of her kindness. And he wasn't going to let go. If she didn't intervene now, it would only get worse.

She waited for an opening.

Her nerves strained as she watched him take a step forward. Now. She took a quick, unconscious step closer. The sound made the man angle his head in her direction. Christina's heart lurched. Robin stood there, stoic features, looking straight at him, without saying a word.

The man blinked. Robin held his gaze.

After a moment, he asked, "What?"

"She's with me." Robin ushered in her direction with her chin.

The man's mouth opened. "Ah." He nodded. "I was telling her if she needs any toys for the dog, I've got plenty in my shop up in Glenburgh, if-"

"No."

He stilled. She didn't waver. It was in her nature to be so forward, so curt and rude, and it was this nature that saved her countless times from people like him, disguised under a veil of nurture when in reality, they dug at the vulnerable. She knew the consequences of being nice to people like him.

This man, standing before them, was either a thief, a rapist, a killer, or all of them combined. She knew. He looked it. He reeked of it.

"Well?" Robin arched an eyebrow as if to say, 'fuck off'. The man's features slowly morphed into a cold, hard glare. Christina was going to lose it at the sight of that, his face so terrifying that even the woman had to slowly leave, shooting a quick look Robin's way.

Robin caught it, nodded, and focused back on him. She took another step closer. Intimidation was key in moments like these. Some of the men scattered and dropped it. Some of them might back off for the moment but follow up later when least excepted. And some men, the rarity of them, were stubborn.

He was the third.

"Robin," Christina warned, watching the interaction in a frozen state, her feet rooted to the ground and her entire body trapped in a sudden wave of fear.

Following the act of stepping closer, he slowly reached for his pocket.

"I wouldn't do that, if I were you," Robin's voice was softer than the wind that blew by, her features relaxed.

Christina's breath hitched in her throat, a shiver running up her spine as Robin's words awakened her.

Cops. She had to call the cops.

She was quick on her feet now, running to look for any of the guards that stood outside the station.

The man's eyebrows slowly rose. "Are you threatening me?"

"I'm advising you."

He barked out a laugh at that. "You're a funny little one."

His laughter was the last thing Christina heard as she dashed outside and came back just as fast, a steel pipe she had found on her way gripped tight between her palms. The cop had said he'd be there, but she suspected he'd take his time.

Instead of her worst fears coming true - there was the man, blood coming out of his mouth and nose, struggling to scatter away with what seemed to be an injured ankle, and Robin, walking after him, at a slow, steady pace.

Robin had stopped at the sight of Christina, who had been staring down at the man, eyes stretched wide, mouth hung. The train had come just then, the sound of screeching tires snapping her back into reality. She dropped her weapon, ran up to Robin, and latching onto her wrist, pulling her inside the open doors of the train. If the cop had come back with her, she would have been in trouble, and that was the last thing she wanted.

Robin hadn't talked about it after Christina had checked for injuries, finding none.

Instead, the event was drowned into the sea of the strange ones Christina had encountered and left them for later times to question, and they had arrived at Darwin, heading for Violet's funeral.

________

Notes:

happy Halloween!!!

i know it's a short update, but it's really a glimpse of what the next chapter will be (the 5.7k words lol). let me know what you guys think and your theories!!

I'm still thinking if I update chapter 13 this Saturday (in honor of nov 5 (v for vendetta reference)) and update 14 after three weeks (so I can stock up on chapters), or i update 13 in two weeks on November 12 and continue the rest as normal... I'll let u guys know!

+++ i post sneak peeks of this book and mood boards and reels on my insta/tiktok! link in my bio!