14 | In the Shadows

BOOTS SCUFFED AGAINST THE STONY PAVEMENT, sharp bursts of sound as Ollie ran down the street

He stopped in his track, puffs of air leaving his throat as his chest heaved from the throbbing anxiety that coursed through him.

He angled his body around to look back at the bar.

Kaden, Lizzie and Jeremy were still just as he had left them. But they were guarded, watchful of the intruders.

His jaw set and he forced his eyes down.

It wouldn't do him any good to look.

But he couldn't stop himself, eyes gravitating back to the three people that stood before the bar. He had so many questions. Their sudden appearance was surely questionable, and he wondered what it could be about.

A wave of unease gripped his heart. He swallowed, gaze setting on each of them, one by one.

A shaky breath escaped his lips.

He turned sharply around before the pang in his gut twisted to torment him, before his chest further ached, before his resolve wavered.

He ran the way back home.

The adrenaline rush that had coursed Robin's veins gradually faded

Her heartbeat settled into a steady rhythm, and the pain she had barely felt now pounded everywhere in her body. She still felt the man's arm on her, pinning her against the wall still, his attention focused elsewhere as he angled his head to watch the man pick his friend off the ground and make his way outside the bar. She followed the dark blue of his eyes and watched his features morph into a guarded one, eyes narrowed.

They flicked to her, and she stared back. He slowly angled his head to face her. Her features relaxed as she looked down between them to take in his proximity. He was too close.

"You're still bleeding," he stated, noticing the gush of blood in the cut. It beat from her forehead and split a trail down either side of her nose, dripping down her cheeks.

"It's the head." Robin merely shrugged, knowing full well small cuts on the head tend to bleed more than any other part of the body.

"Are you in pain?" He asked, eyes meeting hers. She held them for a moment, then her eyes narrowed.