1 | The Grave Is Digging Deeper

THERE WAS A CURFEW in Fairford City.

It wasn't enforced as much as it was recommended. The crime rates had been exponentially increasing with public outrage, and so was the fear. The streets would usually clear by ten pm, and nothing but bats and shadows roamed the dark streets on Robin's route.

She slid her headphones back to rest them around her neck, rolling her shoulders as she regulated her breathing. She took her phone out, checking the time to see it was 9:59 PM. Crap. She huffed out a breath and wiped the sheen of sweat covering her eyebrows, taking out her keys from her pocket, sifting through each and picking the one for the entrance.

A crumbled stack of papers halted the door, and she kicked them to push her way in, staring down as a flash of bold capital letters caught her attention.

     A tiny smile tugged at the corner of her lips, and she rolled her eyes

It had been months since the death of Dominic Hunter, and she still received conflicting glances of praise and utter disgust because of the article Viviane Dallas wrote about her father.

She hadn't accused - but she had set the facts straight.

It had been cleared that Dominic Hunter had died of natural causes. It was examined by one of the most prominent forensic pathologists in Fairford: Andrew Hayes.

And still, people chose to believe foul play.

It was dark and the only light helping Robin navigate was the elevators' as the numbers went down. Before it stood a man, figure tall and lean blocking half the light as he waited for the lift. It didn't take her long to recognize it was Finn, the guy from 1504, the apartment facing hers. She only knew him by name, since he and Spencer, her next-door neighbor, were friends - or acquaintances, she wasn't so sure.

She stifled a sigh. His presence here meant plausible socializing, and she wasn't up for it in the least. His head had been angled in her direction when she got in, and he nodded once with a small smile in greeting.