𝒕𝒉𝒓𝒆𝒆, incomplete

THREE
- flashback

❛ You seem to be the eager one ❜

You seem to be the eager one

YEARS EARLIER.

Vanessa knew she had fucked up when she agreed to stitch up Tangerine after his mission had failed even though she was the one who had been assigned to murder him and his brother.

She had spent the whole night following the twins and had questioned herself why do these two need killing? The pair had laughed together, argued constantly and acted like genuine people. She had watched as they tried to complete their mission, Tangerine getting shot in the thigh and Lemon had shouted for someone to help.

At first, Vanessa believed that could be her way to get into killing them, but once she slipped them both into a safe area and began patching Tangerine up, she realised they weren't actually horrible people like she was originally told.

Tangerine had been too tired to even bother battering an eye lid at her at the time, but Lemon enjoyed the way she didn't asked questions and smiled gently every time his brother would mutter something stupid under his breath. Lemon had stood nearby on lookout but every now and again check up on them to see Vanessa staring at Tangerine's relaxed face and whispering comforting words. There was something there, and he could tell.

After stupidly exchanging phone numbers and returning to their own separate hotel rooms, Vanessa got a call from her boss.

"Have you done it?"

Surprisingly and extremely reluctantly, Nessa told the truth, "No, sir. I didn't. The mission was compromised, slightly."

She knew he was angry the second he hung up the phone without even bothering to reply. Her boss was a very powerful man, and could easily have a whole squad of men knocking down her hotel door and dragging her away in a matter of minutes. So, she just sat patiently on her bed and waited. There was no point running, or calling the police; she would be found either way.

But the last thing she expected or wanted was to receive a phone call from her brother's phone at three in the morning.

"Why the fuck are you awake?" She grumbled, flicking on her bedside table light with a small groan.

"He's been awake for a while now," Her bosses voice spoke, and her blood ran cold as she heard James' scream of agony in the distance, "Though, I'm not sure he will be for much longer. This is what happens when you fuck up on an easy mission. There are always consequences."