𝒇𝒊𝒗𝒆, failure

FIVE

❛ You can't fool me, you fucking cunt ❜

You can't fool me, you fucking cunt

LUCKILY, Vanessa found an open mobile phone that a previous passenger had forgotten on a table in a carriage further down the train. She had tried to find her handbag, but the storage rack where she had left it, was empty.

She slinks down into the closest seat, running her hand through her hair as she frantically dials her brother's number into the device.

It only takes him a second to pick up.

"Ness?" He calls.

She chuckles, "How'd you know?"

"The location of the call gave it away," He explains, "How's your hubby? Take the news well?"

She swallows, "For Tangerine, yes, he took it well," She bites her lip, "Look, James, I failed, okay? This fucking mission, I failed it. Even though I swore to myself years ago that I'd never fail again, I failed again. You— you have to get somewhere safe. Go down to mum's. Boss doesn't know where she—"

James sighs, "Nessa. First of all, I'm not going to her house ever, and second, I'm staying on this call with you until I know you're safe. I don't give two flying fucks if you've failed."

"Starting to pick up our old lingo, I see," She smirks.

"Where's Tangerine?" He questions, hearing the silence of the carriage she's resting in.

"With the dude I'm supposed to be killing. I'm sure they're fighting right at this moment. We just stopped at the last stop before Kyoto, I think." She informs him, peering out of the window as tge train starts up again, "I should probably go find Lemon."

"They're separated for once?" He snorts, "Wow."

"You do realise I'm gonna have to hang up at some point," She says, "I can't fight anyone with a mobile brick phone in my hand."

"Sure, you can," He hums, "Use it as a weapon."

She rolls her eyes at his idea but before she has a chance to even open her mouth to reply, she hears a distant gunshot rattle through the carriages from the driver's end of the train.

"You should probably go check that out," Her brother mumbles through the phone.

Clenching her jaw, Vanessa raises up begins to head towards the source of the bang. She keeps the phone close by her era, even though neither of them are uttering a word. She walks slowly and carefully, looking in each bathroom as she passes them.