The Witch of Purity Tower

The Flowerground was as dizzying as ever. Someone had made the mistake of sneezing and had had to go their whole ride in just their underwear. When I finally got off I saw a group of fairies carrying my luggage away, along with many other bags, purses and suitcases. Where exactly they took them I'm not quite sure. I was too mesmerized by the sight around me to notice.

Dahlias and lilies and roses, and thousands of other flowers adorned the Ever's half of Halfway Bay. The water was so crystalline that from an angle it looked like glass.

"Rin, look at this"

Rin, who had made his way out of my pocket and onto my shoulder, chirped and then took off flying.

"Alright. See you later, I guess" I said, assuming he was just going off to explore.

I looked beyond the gleaming garden to the looming, black castle at the other side of the lake. The School for Evil surely lived up to its name with spiky torrents and towers that seemed like they could crumble at any given moment. Not to mention the giant bird dropping children into the greasy muck.

Wait, WHAT?!

"Ver!" Someone squealed.

I felt arms wrap arounds me and was engulfed in the scent of jasmine and honey. "Reena?"

She laughed, "Well, who else, silly?"

Reena of Shazabah, one of my best friends since I could remember. She wore a lilac dress that complemented her earrings and made her bronze skin glow. I hugged her tightly and turned back to the horrifying sight across the bay. "Ree, look! They're throwing the Nevers into the lake!"

"It seems so, yes"

I looked at her, not believing my eyes "Why would they do that?! That's just cruel!"

Reena rolled her eyes at me, "Ver, they're Nevers. They're cruel."

"I guess. It's just, it seems a bit excessive doesn't it?"

"Not really." shrugged my friend "They are the worst of the worst after all."

I didn't think of myself as naive, but I also wasn't one to punish people who hadn't done anything wrong. I was about to argue when she pulled my arm, leading me away from the view, "Don't bother yourself with such things. Come, let's say hi to Beatrix"

I groaned loudly. "Do we have to?"

"Yes" she said, yanking my arm again.

I gave the evil school one last glance. If this was how they were welcoming their students, I didn't even want to imagine their classes.

We made our way to a path closer to the school. This was when I finally had the chance to get a good look at it. The School for good looked like a wish come true. The castle was vast and ivory white, its golden inlays gleaming beautifully in the sunlight. I could spot reliefs of heroes and heroines living out their stories along with defeated dragons and fluttering fairies and kisses that promised happily ever after.

I cringed at the last one.

Over all, the school seemed like everything my parents had described, and so much more. I couldn't wait to go inside.

Reena came to a stop next to a group of agitated princesses. "Hi, girls. What's going on?"

The princesses parted to greet us and Beatrix was the first to speak. "Reena! Oh, you won't believe it! There's a witch in our class!"

"Wait, a witch? Here?" I said, from behind my shocked friend.

"Oh! Verena. I... didn't know you'd been accepted." she said.