Chapter 6

People walked along the sidewalk of that town counting the minutes, it was past 12 noon and the town's inhabitants walked the streets starving in search of any hidden little place that would allow them to satisfy the hunger that afflicted them in those moments before back to work. Aeryne was one of those people, she had woken up that morning thinking about her partner, the night before she had committed an act of tremendous selfishness by not calling to find out his health. In her defense, the last 48 hours of her life had been complete chaos that she wasn't used to.

When she was in New York, the routine she had created began to drown every aspect of her life and any deviation from it was uncomfortable, in her small world of acquaintances and social responsibilities there was no room for the unexpected, she got up, dressed in her uniform, she took the bus directly to work, from 8:30 to 12 she served those desperate for caffeine and ultra-saturated fats, as is typical of large cities. From 12 to 1:15 p.m. it was her break, she had lunch at Lucio's pizza restaurant, that blond who could easily pass as a fireman, he was not the stereotypical owner of purely Italian pizza restaurants, however, he was Italian to the core, all the days without fail since she had managed to collect her first paycheck she had a space reserved next to the cash register for Aeryne, where she chatted a little about everything with the partner of that good neighbor, Rita, a very affectionate Portuguese woman who had her husband right where she wanted, in the palm of her hand, in a good way of course. Once lunch was over, she would go back to work, work until 3:20 p.m. and return home around 4:45 p.m. always with ice cream and some dinner that varied, because that was the only thing that varied in her life, dinner.

Stepping up the line, from being reckless about ordering a different dinner every night, to being beaten in her own home and shot again, all in less than 48 hours, was overwhelming. She took another step forward witnessing the tantrum of the toddler in front of her in her line when they didn't buy her the happy combo that came with a toy gun, Aeryne rolled her eyes at her, never a book for a change.

-Welcome to Delicias Sureñas, what are you in the mood off?-a lady of at least 70 years attended her, she typed a lot of things in the slightly worn little machine that the brunette did not understand, the Starbucks screens were much simpler.

-I want a pizza half salami half mozzarella, two cans of beer and an orange-flavored water please...- she opened her wallet to take out the bills, between her work and the scholarship money she allowed herself a decent life, not full of luxuries , but worthy, maybe from time to time books and Chinese food on Saturdays would fall into that category.

-Well, pizza half mozzarella, half salami, with two cans of beer and an orange flavored water- he hits the keys of the little machine whose numbers can hardly be seen anymore.- It's $15.30, tell me the name whose order is it- removes the bill from my fingers while looking for the change.

-Aeryne please...Aeryne Wolf- the woman stops what she was doing to look up as if it were a spring under her chin, she gasped for a few seconds like a fish out of water and took off her glasses as if that would make her see better, what was she wearing them for? The bell announcing that a new order was ready from the kitchen brought the elderly woman back to the present from which she seemed to have withdrawn, somewhat clumsily she got down from the chair, took the box of pizza and passed it to the lady with the child still crying in his father's arms.

Perplexed by what her eyes saw, the lady took by the arms a brunette teenager of approximately 18 years of age, one meter fifty, waist-length brown hair with turquoise tips, sat her in the uncomfortable chair where she was accommodated before her and escaped between the doors to the kitchen, Aeryne did not understand very well what had happened, clearly the lady had recognized her or that had crossed her mind, but she did not know why, she did not knew who that chubby lady was and although she tried with all her might to review in her mind where it was that she could meet her, she had no clues in her memories, she had erased all recollection of her past life as if it were a chapter of a novel,where I could edit and re-edit the way where only the good chapters prevailed.