Chapter 10

The trunk door slammed shut on her head leaving her cloaked in complete darkness, past the car engine being turned on at that moment, she could hear the sound of her heart galloping a mile per hour inside her ribcage, adrenaline pumping through her veins opening the way to a new energy that she did not had until now.

As hateful as that moment was, she was calm and even a little happy, not because she was kidnapped , of course, but because it was a confirmation that she was on the right track in her investigation and was closer to solving the why of that horrible day that she cannot get out of her mind.

The car began to move slowly inside the complex, she took the handkerchief out of his mouth spitting on the small space, she did not know what drug was she injected with but the bitterness that it left in her mouth was slowly taking effect on your system.

Aeryne knew she had to get out of there as soon as possible or things would not end well as once she got past the security barrier at the exit of the complex and she would be lost not knowing where they were taking her. She felt the upholstery of the trunk trying to feel something that she could help her cut with the ties that rubbed her wrists beginning to burn the area. She knew that she had a little less than 1 minute for the car to reach the exit of the parking lot, if there was no traffic inside it that could make it take a little longer, but in early morning hours like that it was really quite uninhabited .

The countdown began in her head.

60, 59, 58, 57....

She scratched the right side of it after finding a hole in the upholstery, with the little range of movement that space gave her, she pulled the fabric as hard as she could, ripping much of the trunk lining and took her time looking with her hands, she couldn't trust her eyes when she could hardly see anything.

It took her almost forty seconds to peel back the entire edge of the iron casing the car was made of as she felt the blood run down her fingers, the carpet was so stuck together that she broke her fingernails removing it from the spot, but even that didn't stop her, adrenaline kept her going. When she finally removed the leather-like fabric she saw something that could help her get out of there alive, a small opening let in the light illuminating the interior of the car a little and she felt relief from the cool autumn air hitting her face.

10, 9, 8, 7...

The car stopped at the exit toll, where the detective handed over his identification to be noted like any other exit officer.

-Good morning officer- the boy smiled tired, according to the movements that Jason studied for weeks, officer Jake Bunsen should be doing his last hours of work as an officer in charge of the entry and exit of personnel in the garage, which was noticeable by the visible bags under his eyes-busy night?-he waited impatiently for him to return his credentials.

-A little, sir- he typed a few things on the screen. The incessant noise of some blows caught his attention, he turned his gaze from one side to the other and imagined that those noises came from the movie he was watching on Netflix on the computer.

She made a fist with both hands and hit the glass that partially covered the opening through which light entered. She put out a hand waving it in the air, she knew she hadn't left the station yet, she just had to get someone's attention enough for them to stop the car.

-Help! Please someone help me, Detective Johnson has me kidnapped, help! - desperately kicked the roof of the uncomfortable trunk.

Officer Bunsen had heard the screams clearly but he was so nervous he didn't know how to react, he was sleepy and hungry, not a very good combination when you have to think clearly and quickly. He handed a file and a pen to the detective, he decided that the best he could do at that moment was to delay it long enough for the real help that he couldn't provide to whoever was there to arrive. He pretended to type absently while he looked at the computer "concentrated" on his work, while sending a general security alert to the main computers of the station. He received the papers signed by the detective and set them aside, his hands going to the belt that rested on his hips.

-My official credentials... - the voice of the now kidnapper became louder and more defiant. The double barrier didn't go up and Jason knew immediately that he had been discovered. He could hear Aeryne's scream in the distance, but he knew how to hold his ground for a while at least.

He was able to perceive a patrol car parked on the other side of the street, he was trapped.

-Detective, I'm going to ask you to turn off the car engine and leave your hands on the steering wheel where I can see them- He watched as the rookie unsheathed his gun as he left the cabin and walked alongside the car. He wielded the 9 millimeter weapon pointing directly at the upper limbs, he did not have in mind to kill his colleague even though he was a maniac who had someone locked in the trunk of his car.

-You know that's not going to happen, officer...- He looked ahead, holding the steering wheel with both hands, weighing the options he had, which were not many. He soon came to understand that he would not leave this place with Aeryne, not alive at least, so he made the most sensible decision he could get into his intricate brain. If he didn't get out of there, neither would she.

With a few movements he managed to reverse, crashing the trunk of the car into the transfer van that was waiting in line behind him to get out.

Aeryne Wolf was sore from the first impact, without knowing what was happening, she couldn't cover herself in time and headbutted the edge of the trunk. Blood was running down her face now as well. The whiplash of the second blow came too late to even notice, she didn't know how but part of the trunk had come off and her leg was crossed by a metal bar from one side to the other.

A heartbreaking scream was heard from the trunk, so officer Bunsen decided to do the sensible thing and called a halt and then opened fire on the car's tires, which he was able to stop before he hit the transfer car for the third time.

Maurice Williams arrived at the parking lot at the moment that the firearm shots resounded in the place. He ran down the slope approaching the scene expecting to see the girl.

-Come out with your hands up, now!- Bunsen yelled at the one who would undoubtedly become a former detective after this, he prayed that she was dead, he couldn't leave evidence of that crime. He lazily got out of the car with his hands up, they stripped him of his regulatory weapon and his badge while he let himself be taken without resistance.

Maurice approached the trunk without hearing any movement, from what little he could see of the images he received on his computer, his subordinate officer was in serious danger, but still alive before the impacts. He was able to observe for a moment the state of the trunk, feeling that his worst nightmare materialized in front of his eyes. He filled the space between the two cars and with a lever that a fellow detective held out to him he was able to open that box of death.

The girl could barely keep her eyes open after the second blow, the pain in her left leg having dispersed to the point where the limb seemed to have disappeared from space. Her tears no longer came down from her cheek but surely they had stained every inch of her skin, triggering how desperate that experience had been for the poor thing.

He felt the caresses of a calloused hand on his hair.

-It's almost over Aeryne, almost over...-